effects on competition on rent Watch

storminaDcup
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
anyone who is studying business/economics can you help me.... what would happen, say with a shopping centre for example, if there was a rival shopping centre nearby..what would happen with the rent prices? the prices would be more competitive right? in order to draw more potential tenants in? but what would happen if one shopping centre was in a superior location.. i guess they could command more in rent because they are closer to local ammenities, have better shops? am i thinking that out right lol
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
obviously more competition means more competitive prices and lower prices in general but if ones got a more dominant location then maybe hes the price setter as hes got better terms of trade?
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
and can give a higher price for rent
Lampshade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It depends. If there's only 2 corporations offering retail spaces in shopping centres, then they could collude to keep prices high and maximise industry profits.

Assuming that they don't though, then yes, prices would fall, but the one in the superior location may have higher rental prices still.
Rob_K
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You could also say that the price elasticity of demand for the stores in the better shopping centre is relatively inelastic, the demand for it won't change as much if the price goes up. The substitute available is less attractive, therefore the better shopping centre can charge more for the rents.
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Rob_K)
You could also say that the price elasticity of demand for the stores in the better shopping centre is relatively inelastic, the demand for it won't change as much if the price goes up. The substitute available is less attractive, therefore the better shopping centre can charge more for the rents.
hey sorry off the point here what AS levels are you doing ?
Rob_K
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A2 Economics, A2 Chemistry, A2 ICT and AS maths
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (273)
27.25%
No (729)
72.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise