The Student Room Group

Russian GCSE

Hi, I’m going into year 10 and I really want to do Russian GCSE but my school doesn’t offer it. My parents speak some Russian, my grandma is fluent, and my home language uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but it has completely different grammar. Do you think I would have a chance of doing well (getting a 9) if I self studied it?
Reply 1
Original post by Mishig
Hi, I’m going into year 10 and I really want to do Russian GCSE but my school doesn’t offer it. My parents speak some Russian, my grandma is fluent, and my home language uses the Cyrillic alphabet, but it has completely different grammar. Do you think I would have a chance of doing well (getting a 9) if I self studied it?

I personally don't study it however I have a friend who does. They found that as long as they brushed up on the grammar they were alright, however I would recommend looking into study guides on the exam board you are hoping to do as it always helps to understand more of the context. For the oral you need to be comfortable speaking about you and your life, listening as long as you are comfortable with it and the writing and reading are up to you.

You definately have a high chance to do well but even though you speak well you will always need to brush up on the grammar. Look for study guides and practice exams!
Reply 2
Original post by Mishig

Will your school allow you to take the exam?
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
Will your school allow you to take the exam?

They should, I had an assembly last year advertising language GCSEs that aren’t offered in my school, but I’m going to ask them when school starts again
Reply 4
Original post by Mishig
They should, I had an assembly last year advertising language GCSEs that aren’t offered in my school, but I’m going to ask them when school starts again

Ask if you'll need to pay.

Quick Reply

Latest