The Student Room Group

University accomodations

Hi all, I'm a prospective student with ongoing depression and in the process of getting a diagnosis for autism. I've spoken to some student disability support people but I was just wondering what accommodations I might be able to get/ would be reasonable to ask for. I've only recently learnt about the fact that depression is considered a disability and my autism is a new potential diagnosis so I'm really going in blind here. Is there any accommodations people have/ know of that I might be able to request to help me out when I go to uni?
Reply 1
My uni gave the option to request a quiet, non drinking flat when we were applying. Contact the accommodaiton team I'm sure they'd know.
Reply 2
Hello,
I've been diagnosed with ASD, depression and severe anxiety. These are the adjustments that I can get at the uni of Sheffield and I know other people with them just for mental health or in the middle of the diagnosis process, and they have very similar you just need to be able to give reasons why this will benefit you specifically also if I have any challenges that haven't been thought about I can make adjustments at any time
- Not an adjustment but I have to write a thing about how my disabilities impact me specifically and what the signs are etc. so they get a better understanding
- Use clear unambiguous language
- Confirm activities and instructions in writing
- Provide reading lists in advance and what is required and what is optional
- Provide all the lecture material at least 24 hours in advance
- Lets me record the lectures
- Working alone in group work or picking someone I want to be in a group with
- Give extra support in group work
- Only ask questions if she volunteers the answer
- Only deliver presentations to one person or another way to assess the content
- Lab support worker and seminar support worker
- Ensure deadlines are as spread out as possible
- Allow coursework extensions when asked
- 25% extra time in exams
- 20 minutes of rest breaks per hour in exam
- No more than 10 people in a room during exams
- Noise-cancelling headphones in exams
- Disability Liason on course which works with about 5 students to meet with
- Extra meetings with the tutor
- Double library loans
- Orientation support
- Accommodation support
- Autistic social group
Then from DSA I was also allowed
2 hours of a therapist
2 hours ASD mentoring per week which is like study skills and coping with chage etc
A printer for free and £186 for ink and paper but they pack this back rather than giving this to you. (I was eligable for a laptop but didn't need one)
Glean which allows you to record the lectures and make notes whilst recording, adding slides, edit them and many more
I was also sent a free microphone with this because of how large the lecture theatres are
Scholarly which you put in an article and then it summarises it for you and seperates the categories
global tasks which is an organised to do list online programme but you can hade tasks and edit it in cool other ways so really useful
pro study which collects all the different articles for different projects and organises them and then does the referencing for you writing helper which structures the essay and explains what question words mean as well as telling you if you have any plagarism in it and making sure all the targets are done
grammarly premium which helps with the tone of the writing which was really helpful (I think this is the only one that isn't on the list for mental health)
claro read which adds tints to the screen etc and reads out all the text as well as being able to speak to it and it will type for you and it also has other PDF features
brain in hand which is a app designed for autistic people for routine and having a set bank of solutions when things go wrong but is given for other mental health conditions

Hope this helps feel free to ask me any more questions
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Hello,
I've been diagnosed with ASD, depression and severe anxiety. These are the adjustments that I can get at the uni of Sheffield and I know other people with them just for mental health or in the middle of the diagnosis process, and they have very similar you just need to be able to give reasons why this will benefit you specifically also if I have any challenges that haven't been thought about I can make adjustments at any time
- Not an adjustment but I have to write a thing about how my disabilities impact me specifically and what the signs are etc. so they get a better understanding
- Use clear unambiguous language
- Confirm activities and instructions in writing
- Provide reading lists in advance and what is required and what is optional
- Provide all the lecture material at least 24 hours in advance
- Lets me record the lectures
- Working alone in group work or picking someone I want to be in a group with
- Give extra support in group work
- Only ask questions if she volunteers the answer
- Only deliver presentations to one person or another way to assess the content
- Lab support worker and seminar support worker
- Ensure deadlines are as spread out as possible
- Allow coursework extensions when asked
- 25% extra time in exams
- 20 minutes of rest breaks per hour in exam
- No more than 10 people in a room during exams
- Noise-cancelling headphones in exams
- Disability Liason on course which works with about 5 students to meet with
- Extra meetings with the tutor
- Double library loans
- Orientation support
- Accommodation support
- Autistic social group
Then from DSA I was also allowed
2 hours of a therapist
2 hours ASD mentoring per week which is like study skills and coping with chage etc
A printer for free and £186 for ink and paper but they pack this back rather than giving this to you. (I was eligable for a laptop but didn't need one)
Glean which allows you to record the lectures and make notes whilst recording, adding slides, edit them and many more
I was also sent a free microphone with this because of how large the lecture theatres are
Scholarly which you put in an article and then it summarises it for you and seperates the categories
global tasks which is an organised to do list online programme but you can hade tasks and edit it in cool other ways so really useful
pro study which collects all the different articles for different projects and organises them and then does the referencing for you writing helper which structures the essay and explains what question words mean as well as telling you if you have any plagarism in it and making sure all the targets are done
grammarly premium which helps with the tone of the writing which was really helpful (I think this is the only one that isn't on the list for mental health)
claro read which adds tints to the screen etc and reads out all the text as well as being able to speak to it and it will type for you and it also has other PDF features
brain in hand which is a app designed for autistic people for routine and having a set bank of solutions when things go wrong but is given for other mental health conditions

Hope this helps feel free to ask me any more questions

Thank you so so so much honestly such an in depth list is really helpful for me I truly appreciate this its honestly very useful. I also appreciate you taking the time to do this I think it's really going to benefit me when I have to apply and ask for accommodations! I'll be sure to reach out if I have any more questions- I had no idea I could get this level of support if necessary!
Reply 4
Original post by GlucoseGuardian
Thank you so so so much honestly such an in depth list is really helpful for me I truly appreciate this its honestly very useful. I also appreciate you taking the time to do this I think it's really going to benefit me when I have to apply and ask for accommodations! I'll be sure to reach out if I have any more questions- I had no idea I could get this level of support if necessary!

Yeah,
Honestly at Sheffield the support is amazing
Hope your able to get the adjustments that you need
Original post by GlucoseGuardian

Hey!
I am a current student at Sheffield also and I have ME and Dyslexia, the Disability and Dyslexia Support Service (DDSS) is really helpful. There are also lots of different types of support you can access through the University's mental health services too. You can call/email them or talk to them at any of the open days and they can talk to you about some more specific help that you may have access to.
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Quick Reply

Latest