The Student Room Group

How do i be best in coding?

So, I have been studying computer science for a while now. I have done my A levels and will be doing BSc in Comp Sci. I did a project at A level and got 100% on the project about a POS System combined with database + Report and Analysis + Inventory Management

I have learned C#, Python, Java, HTML, CSS, Swift, and SQL query

What else do i need to be best? Do i keep learning new languages? or should i learn patterns and new algorithms?
Original post by Zephyr0221
So, I have been studying computer science for a while now. I have done my A levels and will be doing BSc in Comp Sci. I did a project at A level and got 100% on the project about a POS System combined with database + Report and Analysis + Inventory Management

I have learned C#, Python, Java, HTML, CSS, Swift, and SQL query

What else do i need to be best? Do i keep learning new languages? or should i learn patterns and new algorithms?

Hi,

Well I wouldn't worry too much, you're doing great!
Personally I would just develop a deeper understanding of the languages you'll use on your course (if you go onto the universities website you'll be able to see the modules) and / or what languages you'll use the most in you're dream job.
But really the main thing with computer science is to follow what interests you. Something that looks great and is really good for improving your skills it to go onto GitHub and try to help out with a project. It seems super scary to start but it's great practice and if you help on a lot of projects you can even show your profile in job interviews to give them examples of the work you have done.

If you have any questions about university or 1st year CS I'd be happy to answer them.

- Jess
1st year Computer Science & AI, Heriot-Watt University
Reply 2
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
Hi,

Well I wouldn't worry too much, you're doing great!
Personally I would just develop a deeper understanding of the languages you'll use on your course (if you go onto the universities website you'll be able to see the modules) and / or what languages you'll use the most in you're dream job.
But really the main thing with computer science is to follow what interests you. Something that looks great and is really good for improving your skills it to go onto GitHub and try to help out with a project. It seems super scary to start but it's great practice and if you help on a lot of projects you can even show your profile in job interviews to give them examples of the work you have done.

If you have any questions about university or 1st year CS I'd be happy to answer them.

- Jess

That's some awesome advice, I really appreciate it.
I'm also doing Leetcode to understand more about languages and algorithms for sorting, binary trees, searching etc. I will give it a try in GitHub too
Im also quite interested in AI, I have developed a basic understanding to what an AI is and Im working on to code a basic AI on maybe chess if possible after practice.

in University do you guys have exams in your 1st year and is it contributed to your overall degree?
What do you recommend new students do in University to get the best scores to get the highest pass?

Thanks
That's some awesome advice, I really appreciate it.
I'm also doing Leetcode to understand more about languages and algorithms for sorting, binary trees, searching etc. I will give it a try in GitHub too
Im also quite interested in AI, I have developed a basic understanding to what an AI is and Im working on to code a basic AI on maybe chess if possible after practice.

in University do you guys have exams in your 1st year and is it contributed to your overall degree?
What do you recommend new students do in University to get the best scores to get the highest pass?

Thanks

No worries!

Yeah that all sounds amazing. You'll be really ahead of the basics you need for first year which is great!

At Heriot my degree has a lot of coursework that you do throughout the year which I love because it takes a little stress off when it comes to exam times. For my exams though in first year they don't count towards you're end grade so all that is needed is a base mark, for most modules this is 40% to not resit.
To do well in first year I would say to start on any coursework / homework asap so you can really take your time to understand it all. Go to every single lecture and session that is put on, complete any optional tasks so you have a great understanding to build upon in subsequent years and also meet loads of CS people and have fun! First year is great because while there's quite a bit of work it's manageable so make use of that time to explore and meet new people :smile:

- Jess
Reply 4
Original post by HWU StudentRep 3
No worries!

Yeah that all sounds amazing. You'll be really ahead of the basics you need for first year which is great!

At Heriot my degree has a lot of coursework that you do throughout the year which I love because it takes a little stress off when it comes to exam times. For my exams though in first year they don't count towards you're end grade so all that is needed is a base mark, for most modules this is 40% to not resit.
To do well in first year I would say to start on any coursework / homework asap so you can really take your time to understand it all. Go to every single lecture and session that is put on, complete any optional tasks so you have a great understanding to build upon in subsequent years and also meet loads of CS people and have fun! First year is great because while there's quite a bit of work it's manageable so make use of that time to explore and meet new people :smile:

- Jess

Thanks for the time.....

I'm really looking forward to University now
Thanks for the time.....

I'm really looking forward to University now

No worries!

I'm glad, uni is really really fun!!! I can't wait to go back for year 2.

- Jess

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending