The Student Room Group

Columbia Uni

Looks like its too late to apply there now :frown:
Damn UCAS apps ate up so much time I didn't think to apply for the next SATs in time. I'm so gutted and considering doing UCAS over again next year but this time apply to some US unis.

Question is, am I being totally irrational?

I went on a school trip to New York a few years ago ( jeez was it expensive) and I fell in love with the place ( despite only being there for a week :s-smilie: ) I just loved how it fulflled so many of the stereotypes of itself, the pace, the cosmopolitan atmosphere coupled with the cheesyness, the sophistication and the grubbyness.

I have an offer of AAB from warwick, a fine institution in itself and have applied to some london unis and oxford.

1. I would be grateful for opinions ( especially yanks'!) as to how Columbia is generally regarded in their view compared to these British ones.

2. Would I even be that likely to recieve an offer:
GSCEs: 4A* 6A 2B
AS: AABB
A level (predicted) : AAA A/B

3. If there is anybody who attends Columbia, is it actually that great? I have heard negative things about the undergraduate experience there.

4. I see the whole 'living in New York for comparitively cheap' factor as a big part of the attraction. Do TSRs who have been find New York disappointing or overrated? Also the fees are pretty hefty and IIR, their financial aid for International students isn't so great.

Advice, Opinions and Definite answers all much appreciated.
I find the US application system overwhelming tbh, and may have made several errors in my assumptions, so feel free to berate me.
Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
3) Yes, it is a great school. It has excellent facilities (libraries, labs, research opportunities, computing etc). My quibbles with Columbia are in regards to teaching (to a small extent) and advising. On the whole, my professors have been excellent and most of them really like teaching undergraduates. They are good at it, despite the perception within Columbia, and perhaps outside it, that it is primarily a "research" institution and the profs hate teaching/undergraduates.

However, there are certain courses (seemingly concentrated in the math and physics department for some reason in my personal experience), especially the intro level ones, that are taught by graduate students. My experience with grad-student taught classes has been consistently...miserable.

Undergraduate advising is a complete joke and you are on your own really. Advisors from your school (CC/SEAS/GS etc) are badly overworked/overloaded as the student to advisor ratio isn't good. Getting a good departmental/major advisor isn't a given either, which is a big drawback IMO.

Having said all of that, I do like Columbia and think it is a great place to study.

4) Fees are quite hefty (upwards of $45k) and I don't know much about financial aid for international undergrads. The following is from Columbia's office of undergraduate financial aid website:

Is financial aid available for foreign students?

Though Columbia is not need-blind in its admission of foreign students, if you are admitted then we will meet 100% of your demonstrated financial need. If you plan on applying for financial at any point during your four years of study then you must apply for financial aid at the time you apply for admission.

Will my chances for admission be affected if I apply for financial aid?

For foreign students (students who are NOT Citizens of the United States, Mexico and Canada, permanent residents of the United States or students granted refugee visas by the United States):
Financial aid is available for foreign students, but candidates should be aware that the admission process is not need-blind. As a result, their applications are read in a more selective process. However, Columbia is committed to meeting the full need of all applicants admitted as first-year students regardless of their citizenship status.

More here:
http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/finaid/

As for New York, I love my city, but that again, is my personal opinion. Others may have different ones ;p. If you have more questions, feel free to ask/pm me. Good luck.
Reply 2
NY is a terrific place to live! Any opportunity to live there should be fully taken advantage of, if possible.

Columbia's an amazing school. Great facilities and professors. I have a number of friends who go there are they're all pretty bright so I'd bet that the student body is quite smart as a whole. They have a lot of professors there who have done great things with their research, too...

Definitely apply if you have the chance and the fees work out. US unis are quite expensive unless you can get scholarships, aid, etc...
Reply 3
I'm not a "yank" but if I had the luxury of choosing between Warwick and Columbia and money was not a problem, I'd go for Columbia in a heartbeat.
Reply 4
Anyone has any idea about the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities ? How is the university ? It is a little easier to get in ?
Warwick does do exchange with Columbia, so maybe you can look a bit further into that before deferring a year :smile:
Columbia's awesome.
My (used-to-be) dream university...
There's just no chance for me, it's extremely hard to get accepted.

You should also consider NYU, as it is also in New York City.. Kinda as a safety. But NYU is also very competitive.
The average Columbia student in terms of a holistic assessment (as a person) is ~ Oxbridge standard.

For academic firepower it is somewhere ~ Imperial/LSE standard.

Many from Columbia get into very good jobs. I'm not too sure whether LSE or Columbia sends more people into Front Office Investment Banks...
BadExaminee
Anyone has any idea about the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities ? How is the university ? It is a little easier to get in ?

Minnesota is pretty conservative. If you love Michele Bachmann you will be fine.
s.e.r.e.n.e
The average Columbia student in terms of a holistic assessment (as a person) is ~ Oxbridge standard.

For academic firepower it is somewhere ~ Imperial/LSE standard.

Many from Columbia get into very good jobs. I'm not too sure whether LSE or Columbia sends more people into Front Office Investment Banks...

I think the average Columbia student in terms of a holistic assessment will be a lot higher than Oxbridge student's. Top American universities usually look for more well-rounded people(excellent marks, many extracurrics etc) whereas Oxbridge looks for people who are extremely dedicated to your subject and very good at it markwise. You cannot get into Columbia with just grades. But you can with Oxbridge(as long as your 'very academic' interview goes fine). Applicants to Ivy leagues have a long list of crazy extracurriculars that takes a very big part in the admissions.

I also(of course this is my own opinion) think Columbia has more opportunities. NYC is basically the financial, commercial and cultural centre of the United States and probably even of the world. The city just has so many opportunities. Wall street(the global financial centre), UN headquarters, etc they are all there. It is also a global centre for tv, music, book publishing, newspaper etc.. Being a student in NYC will give you a huge advantage in getting these 'big jobs'.

Of course, if you want to work in the UK(or is not interested in living in NYC) then it won't matter but even the experiences it gives you from any possible interns or short-term work you might do will greatly help you anywhere in the world.
Reply 10
BadExaminee
Minnesota is considerably easier than Columbia to get into. It's a pretty good school, arguably in the top 10 publics. Depending on what you want to study, though, there are probably better options.

s.e.r.e.n.e
Minnesota is conservative. If you love Michele Bachmann you will be fine.
Minnesota as a whole is conservative, but the Twin Cities area is surprisingly liberal.
manmade xoxo
I think the average Columbia student in terms of a holistic assessment will be a lot higher than Oxbridge student's. Top American universities usually look for more well-rounded people(excellent marks, many extracurrics etc) whereas Oxbridge looks for people who are extremely dedicated to your subject and very good at it markwise. You cannot get into Columbia with just grades. But you can with Oxbridge(as long as your 'very academic' interview goes fine). Applicants to Ivy leagues have a long list of crazy extracurriculars that takes a very big part in the admissions.

I also(of course this is my own opinion) think Columbia has more opportunities. NYC is basically the financial, commercial and cultural centre of the United States and probably even of the world. The city just has so many opportunities. Wall street(the global financial centre), UN headquarters, etc they are all there. It is also a global centre for tv, music, book publishing, newspaper etc.. Being a student in NYC will give you a huge advantage in getting these 'big jobs'.

Of course, if you want to work in the UK(or is not interested in living in NYC) then it won't matter but even the experiences it gives you from any possible interns or short-term work you might do will greatly help you anywhere in the world.

All the opportunities in NYC you mention are available in London as well. I assume you are talking about investment banking. In fact in terms of global markets , London is a more happening place. The AIG unit that blew up was based in London (AIG FP, which sold CDS against MBS). New MTF exchanges like Chi-X and Turquoise, many derivatives exchanges, and for FX I believe London is no. 1 in the world. Wall Street will shrink, London probably won't but Hong Kong will boom.

Also, there is a difference between the Ivy "excellent marks" and the Oxbridge "excellent marks". I agree that unis like Caltech (especially) are very tough on academics, but as for the Ivies I'd think that a proportion of those who got in would not get into Oxbridge due to insufficient academic credentials.
s.e.r.e.n.e
All the opportunities in NYC you mention are available in London as well. I assume you are talking about investment banking. In fact in terms of global markets , London is a more happening place. The AIG unit that blew up was based in London (AIG FP, which sold CDS against MBS). New MTF exchanges like Chi-X and Turquoise, many derivatives exchanges, and for FX I believe London is no. 1 in the world. Wall Street will shrink, London probably won't but Hong Kong will boom.

London is more of a cultural icon than a financial and business powerhouse. The economic opportunities offered by NYC and surrounding regions is far greater than London.

EDIT: Just take a look at those skyscrapers !
BadExaminee
London is more of a cultural icon than a financial and business powerhouse. The economic opportunities offered by NYC and surrounding regions is far greater than London.

EDIT: Just take a look at those skyscrapers !

I disagree with your statement for high finance. In terms of capital markets, fund raising, structured products, FX and commodities, London is actually slightly bigger than NYC. London's financial span from Russia and Eastern Europe to South Africa and Middle east.
Reply 14
thanks loads guys, lots of good ponts coming. tbh I am more concerned with the cultural experience rather than the financial status of the cities, but I can see how it would affect the status of any degree I obtained later.

If I don't get any more British offers, then would it be a better option to nail my A levels this year, and then spend next year building up the CV and focusing on applications here and the US?

I love the apparent breadth of the US colleges, as even though Im passionate about studying History, I'd liketo do a bit of everything.
If pushed to it though, I wouldn't mind doingg a graduate course in the States.
I gather that many of their graduate schools are quite vocation orientated, but for the humanities style schools, how do you all think they cmpare to doing a British undergrad degree?
s.e.r.e.n.e

Also, there is a difference between the Ivy "excellent marks" and the Oxbridge "excellent marks". I agree that unis like Caltech (especially) are very tough on academics, but as for the Ivies I'd think that a proportion of those who got in would not get into Oxbridge due to insufficient academic credentials.

I don't know much about UK/EU student qualifications, but as far as the US and Canadian qualifications that Oxford(I'm not familiar with Cambridge) require, I don't completely agree.

Even though Ivy league schools give you a chance to make up a low credential with an outstanding extracurricular(publishing a best-selling novel, etc), most have excellent academics. The reason I decided to apply to Oxford is because I still wanted a world-class education even though my marks at school(GPA) weren't good enough for Ivy Leagues. Oxford does not even consider your GPA. For US applicants, all they want is a 2100 SAT along with subject tests over 700(or two 5's and one 4 on AP). That is not hard. Schools like Harvard etc admit very many people with 2300+ SATs(along with 4.0/4.0 GPA and many extracurriculars). You don't have to do much in your high school and get Bs and Cs, but study hard and do well for standardized tests like SAT and get into Oxford(provided that your interview goes well).

And for Canadian qualifications all you need is a 85% in OSSDs according to the Oxford website.. At our school 600 out of total 1500 students have averages over 80.. It's not that hard to get an 85.

As long as you have those qualifications, you will get an interview. The academic credential requirements are easy to meet. What gets people is the interview.

But I have to say that I think the North American qualifications are bit too lenient, as I know A-levels etc are tough. BMAT I've took for physiological sciences at Oxford was very hard..:mad: But for subjects that do not require separate testing such as BMAT or TSA, North Americans can probably get acceptances quite easily as long as the interview goes well.

Also keep in mind that British students get one more year in high school than North Americans.. Instead, we have one more year in university. So comparing college-bound North Americans and British might not be fair. The academic standards should technically be lower because we go to university right after 12th grade.
manmade xoxo
I don't know much about UK/EU student qualifications, but as far as the US and Canadian qualifications that Oxford(I'm not familiar with Cambridge) require, I don't completely agree.

Even though Ivy league schools give you a chance to make up a low credential with an outstanding extracurricular(publishing a best-selling novel, etc), most have excellent academics. The reason I decided to apply to Oxford is because I still wanted a world-class education even though my marks at school(GPA) weren't good enough for Ivy Leagues. Oxford does not even consider your GPA. For US applicants, all they want is a 2100 SAT along with subject tests over 700(or two 5's and one 4 on AP). That is not hard. Schools like Harvard etc admit very many people with 2300+ SATs(along with 4.0/4.0 GPA and many extracurriculars). You don't have to do much in your high school and get Bs and Cs, but study hard and do well for standardized tests like SAT and get into Oxford(provided that your interview goes well).

And for Canadian qualifications all you need is a 85% in OSSDs according to the Oxford website.. At our school 600 out of total 1500 students have averages over 80.. It's not that hard to get an 85.

As long as you have those qualifications, you will get an interview. The academic credential requirements are easy to meet. What gets people is the interview.

But I have to say that I think the North American qualifications are bit too lenient, as I know A-levels etc are tough. BMAT I've took for physiological sciences at Oxford was very hard..:mad: But for subjects that do not require separate testing such as BMAT or TSA, North Americans can probably get acceptances quite easily as long as the interview goes well.

Also keep in mind that British students get one more year in high school than North Americans.. Instead, we have one more year in university. So comparing college-bound North Americans and British might not be fair. The academic standards should technically be lower because we go to university right after 12th grade.

To be honest, your argument for the underlined part is very very flawed. For one, there's no way for you to survive the interview if you get Bs and Cs in high school.

700+ for SAT II subject test is not tough at all. I'm only at Imperial and I scored 800-800-800 for SATII subject tests with only three days of preparation. 700 is the minimum requirement, which I think is appropriate.

In English education system, national exams like the A-levels (which have been around for close to 50 years) are the key. In parallel they will use standardised tests like SATII and AP to judge US applicants. The problem with SATII and AP however is that they are far too easy and have huge grade inflation. If my friends at Imperial are to take the SAT II and AP their grades would almost be straight 800s and 5s. A 5 for Calc BC doesn't say much since more than 50% of the people get 5s.

However, I must admit that A-levels have been slipping in standards for the past 30 years. One only needs to dig back the 1970s A-levels (when only a tiny percentage of the British people get to go to universities) to sense what is "difficult".

Finally, I believe that the US unis set a cap on the no. of int'ls (~7%). For UK, there is a great incentive for them to get students outside the EU/UK to come in because of much higher fees.
s.e.r.e.n.e
To be honest, your argument for the underlined part is very very flawed. For one, there's no way for you to survive the interview if you get Bs and Cs in high school.

In North America, people study many subjects in high school. If a person were applying for maths, that person might have A+ in a calculus or functions class and might be extremely good at maths, winning national math competitions. But in other subjects, such as English or French, that person could be getting Bs or Cs because he is simply not interested or not trying hard enough. That can bring your GPA down by a lot, as your subject is only a fraction of many courses that make up the whole GPA.

s.e.r.e.n.e

700+ for SAT II subject test is not tough at all. I'm only at Imperial and I scored 800-800-800 for SATII subject tests with only three days of preparation. 700 is the minimum requirement, which I think is appropriate.

In English education system, national exams like the A-levels (which have been around for close to 50 years) are the key. In parallel they will use standardised tests like SATII and AP to judge US applicants. The problem with SATII and AP however is that they are far too easy and have huge grade inflation. If my friends at Imperial are to take the SAT II and AP their grades would almost be straight 800s and 5s. A 5 for Calc BC doesn't say much since more than 50% of the people get 5s.

No I never said SAT was tough. It is not at all. That is why I said that the US qualifications are too lenient compared to British A-levels. I think you're missing my point. I was trying to say that North American students who apply there have an easy way and it's not necessarily true that North American applicants get tripped over because of the insufficient credentials. Even if SAT might not be a good way to measure how good a student is, Oxford thinks it's alright, enough for admission.

And SAT is a college entrance exam. Most people take it in their 11th or 12th year. About 1 year or 2 years before the British students write their A-levels. Some even choose to write the SAT in grade 10. People in college, especially people in a school like Imperial, obviously should be getting 800's and 5's. That's a given.
manmade xoxo
In North America, people study many subjects in high school. If a person were applying for maths, that person might have A+ in a calculus or functions class and might be extremely good at maths, winning national math competitions. But in other subjects, such as English or French, that person could be getting Bs or Cs because he is simply not interested or not trying hard enough. That can bring your GPA down by a lot, as your subject is only a fraction of many courses that make up the whole GPA.

No I never said SAT was tough. It is not at all. That is why I said that the US qualifications are too lenient compared to British A-levels. I was trying to say that North American students who apply there have an easy way and it's not necessarily true that North American applicants get tripped over because of the insufficient credentials. Even if SAT might not be a good way to measure how good a student is, Oxford thinks it's alright, enough for admission.

And SAT is a college entrance exam. People usually take it in their 11th or 12th year. Some in 10th grade. People in college, especially people in a school like Imperial, obviously should be getting 800's and 5's. That's a given.

You don't have to explain the US education system to me. I mean really, you don't have to.

SAT is a college entrance exam. I'm referring to that if my Imperial classmates took the SATIIs at sixth-form (year 11/12 = A-levels), they will be getting 800s and 5s straight. In particular SATII Physics is a super big joke. It is descriptive physics, not mathematical physics. The test is just invalid as a whole.

America is a big country. There are lots of difference across colleges. In general (for example, St John Uni) the standard is pretty to very low. But in schools like Caltech, it can be the most intense experience in the entire universe.

SAT and APs are the only standardised tests available in the US, if you ex IB. There's not a choice. Of course it is fine with Oxbridge. Just that no one thinks highly of a 800 and 5.

Because Oxbridge select applicants base almost exclusively on academic performance whereas Ivies use a basket of criteria, the average Ivy is just not as bright IQ-wise than one from Oxbridge.

There are lots of American students around Imperial and I think Northwestern is an acceptable university in the US. Excuse me for being frank - those guys speak great look great, but are utterly incapable of highly abstract thoughts.
In fact the SATII languages are the easiest tests you can find anywhere to "certify" that you know something about that language. They are all super easy; not even 1/3 of that required for GCSE.

Definitely something nice to put on your CV when you are effectively useless at that language.

Latest

Trending

Trending