The Student Room Group

WWYD. Open College Arts or Falmouth.

Im a mature student with children. I work in healthcare, freelance writing/illustration and we live on the road.

Basically I have always wanted to do my illustration degree to solidify my skills and give me options when the kids grow up.

I have two options of an online course. Falmouth starting in September or Open College of the Arts.

Falmouth seems a lot more student focused and personal but getting in is more difficult. OCA is not like this from what I can see.

Any reviews or opinions would be great.
Reply 1
Yes Falmouth is a toughie, go with OCA. They are now in cahoots with the Open university. The OCA platform is heavily focussed andvreliant in the world of the Google UI. If you can handle stupid google talk like Padlets etc then fair play to ya, go for it. I hate the reliance on Googles platforms. In fact i hate Google. Google is not the world.
The OU have their own platform which is brilliant, you can use intuitively and crack on with study straight away.
Reply 2
I did a term at Falmouth. In terms of getting in it was easy and I was offered the place in the interview but then Covid happened and I left because the university simply couldn’t handle student needs and well-being and the lecturers would joke about that they didn’t want to be there or that now we could go get drunk because the lecture was over. I don’t know, I was recommended it and visited and ir seemed good but the reality was far from what I hoped and not good for hybrid

Quick Reply

Latest