The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
HollyBible
come on babe I know I can sing As I said I want to subscribe to a music academy i'm only 16 it's just a wish that's all I know how to play guitar coz my father can play too he teachs me everything

Yes, but externally examined exams can give you an OBJECTIVE view of how good you actually are.
Reply 21
KEW96158 you must believe in feeling you cannot learn everything at school you can only learn about technics that's all the feelings might be inside you the best school my friend is the street once I was basking just me and my guitar at Soho it was wonderful to feel close to people some of them stopped and listened to me
Reply 22
I get payed too for my performence
Rather disturbingly, this person probably has a better chance of making it in the music industry than somone who did go to a music academy...
Reply 24
I'm not at school actually, but I know what you mean. However, as I'm sure you're aware, you have to show flair, feeling etc. to do well in music practical exams; they by no means only test 'technics', as you put it. Any decent teacher will teach students to show feeling in their playing, as well as just teach them the technical stuff.
Reply 25
Onearmedbandit
Rather disturbingly, this person probably has a better chance of making it in the music industry than somone who did go to a music academy...

:biggrin: True!
HollyBible

I want to be a musicien QUOTE]

well...i think it's a good idea as you definately won't be an english teacher :rolleyes:
HollyBible
I get payed too for my performence

nope...forget the arts subjects.
Reply 28
HollyBible
KEW96158 you must believe in feeling you cannot learn everything at school you can only learn about technics that's all the feelings might be inside you

An academy won't teach you that, so why do you want to go?

Some of the best musicians never had a lesson in their life.
Reply 29
G4ry
An academy won't teach you that, so why do you want to go?

Some of the best musicians never had a lesson in their life.

coz not everybody thinks the way I think that's why
Reply 30
wild thing
nope...forget the arts subjects.
there is no shame to get paied for a performence
HollyBible
Thanks to all of you for your replies to thread "loney and confused" ok now i'll Try TO BE LESS SAD
I want to be a musicien I play guitar and I sing quite well I sound like Dido (people says) I want to subscribe to a musical school but as usual there is a problem with my parents they want me to be a doctor but I hate it....I prefer writing songs...and dream of me on MTV I want my MTV , I want my MTV....

Never mind the music learn how to spell. Despite the valiant efforts of previous posts it still goes right over your head!! :rolleyes: It isnt even the once.
Music conservatoires tend to focus on classical music- they're not mtv career launch pads. You need mega credentials to gain a place in one of them including usually exam proof (at least grade 8 if not diploma level), excellent music and theory skills, performance experience (ie not your half-hearted busking) and even still, you might be unlucky on the day. If you're honestly good at what you do, go and get a decent degree to fall back on first, keep up the performing and use your uncle to get your demo cd heard by the right people meanwhile.
Reply 33
I got paid for working in the orchestra pit of a musical production, but that doesn't put me ahead. A lot of my friends gain money through playing at weddings, parties, etc. But that doesn't give them the chance to just 'subscribe' to a music college. If you play guitar seriuosly (I.E More then 4 years of playing in general, and distinction grade 8 standard) then you can audition for a music college. If you just want to sing and play guitar (I.E. chords, band type thing0 then you dont apply to a music college. You can do music at an ordinary university (however might still need grade 8 standard) where you do a performing degree, this can help. Or you can busk in the vain hope of being spotted or get your demo tape played to the musical industries (Maybe wiht help of an uncle)

Whatever you do you have to be dedicated and sure this isn't a phase. Also have a plan to go back on. It might be an idea to do a medicine degree at a uni where there is a lot of oppertunities to do music and compose and perform - which could earn you money on the side.

This sound good or awful?
Reply 34
shopalotgrrl
Music conservatoires tend to focus on classical music- they're not mtv career launch pads. You need mega credentials to gain a place in one of them including usually exam proof (at least grade 8 if not diploma level), excellent music and theory skills, performance experience (ie not your half-hearted busking) and even still, you might be unlucky on the day. If you're honestly good at what you do, go and get a decent degree to fall back on first, keep up the performing and use your uncle to get your demo cd heard by the right people meanwhile.

u beat me! Oh well some of my points are still valid
Reply 35
HollyBible
God bless America

u American? (America doesn't have grades which could be why your a little confuzzled)
Reply 36
HollyBible
coz not everybody thinks the way I think that's why

Well, that's certainly self-evident :rolleyes:
Reply 37
HollyBible
I want to subscribe to a musical school but as usual there is a problem with my parents they want me to be a doctor but I hate it....I prefer writing songs...and dream of me on MTV I want my MTV , I want my MTV....

I think it fair to assert that you are not nearly intelligent enough to be a doctor, whatever your parents' aspirations to the contrary. Purely on the strength of demonstrated linguistic and intellectual coherence, I deduced your age as being ten or eleven, at most; suffice to say, the revelation of your true age was grounds for sincere incredulity on my part. But, whatever; being as I don't have the unenviable misfortune of receiving MTV on my meagre terrestrial - go for it. By my estimation, you've nothing to lose, and everything to gain.
Profesh
I think it fair to assert that you are not nearly intelligent enough to be a doctor, whatever your parents' aspirations to the contrary. Purely on the strength of demonstrated linguistic and intellectual coherence, I deduced your age as being ten or eleven, at most; suffice to say, the revelation of your true age was grounds for sincere incredulity on my part. But, whatever; being as I don't have the unenviable misfortune of receiving MTV on my meagre terrestrial - go for it. By my estimation, you've nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

ROFLMAO! :wink:
Reply 39
cindy
ROFLMAO! :wink:

I have always hailed from the 'cruel to be kind' school of tact and social etiquette. Besides which, I do believe I've just supplied her with a pretty substantive argument as to why her parents should allow her to pursue her own agenda; academic, or otherwise :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending