The Student Room Group

Confused..

I keep changing what i want to do in the future but i just feel like im saying all this to cover up the fact that i have no real passion for anything… i wanted to become a dentist then an architect and then a lawyer… like who even thinks that but anyway the point is that i have no deep interest for anything but i dont want it to be like that but if i pretend then im lying to myself
Reply 1
Hi, you definitely aren't alone on this. I'm much the same - I change my mind about which job I want to do every few months. It's the same case for my interests/hobbies too. There's nothing I'm particularly good at and my family expects me to know what I want to do with my life.
Is there anything I can help you with? Or if you just need someone to talk to I'd be more than happy to listen :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
I keep changing what i want to do in the future but i just feel like im saying all this to cover up the fact that i have no real passion for anything… i wanted to become a dentist then an architect and then a lawyer… like who even thinks that but anyway the point is that i have no deep interest for anything but i dont want it to be like that but if i pretend then im lying to myself

Hi there

It is really normal to feel like this, most people probably experience this at some point during their studies or career. I usually find speaking to professionals in the sector or gaining work experience can be a good way of determining what career may interest you. As studying a subject can significantly differ from its practice, it can often be difficult to make important future decisions.

Good luck!
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
maybe u just need to give yourself some more time to experience life, to figure out what's important to you
i get that question alot where everyone ask me how im so sure of what i want to do but i think its because of what ive been through that gives me the drive to pursue what i want to do and to be passionate about so many things
dw even if u never figure out what u wanna do its not a massive deal
just be happy and be kind
thats more than enough in my opinion x
Reply 4
Original post by Olly.
Hi, you definitely aren't alone on this. I'm much the same - I change my mind about which job I want to do every few months. It's the same case for my interests/hobbies too. There's nothing I'm particularly good at and my family expects me to know what I want to do with my life.
Is there anything I can help you with? Or if you just need someone to talk to I'd be more than happy to listen :smile:

Thank youuu, im glad it isnt just me because i find myself pretty exhausting at times, like some people say its an identity crisis or whatever but it always happens its not a momentary problem. And yes family expectations too it just adds onto everything. I hope this is a phase because i dont want to be in my 30s unhappy and hopeless.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

It is really normal to feel like this, most people probably experience this at some point during their studies or career. I usually find speaking to professionals in the sector or gaining work experience can be a good way of determining what career may interest you. As studying a subject can significantly differ from its practice, it can often be difficult to make important future decisions.

Good luck!
Chloe

Thank u so much for ur reply !! I havent really done any work experience apart from those online ones so i might consider doing it in real life thankk youu. I dont really have a clue on where to find any.. is there a website or do i message people near me
Reply 6
Original post by Mari_07
maybe u just need to give yourself some more time to experience life, to figure out what's important to you
i get that question alot where everyone ask me how im so sure of what i want to do but i think its because of what ive been through that gives me the drive to pursue what i want to do and to be passionate about so many things
dw even if u never figure out what u wanna do its not a massive deal
just be happy and be kind
thats more than enough in my opinion x

Yessss like a lot of my friends know what they want to be, but i have so many ambitions which arent really ‘true’ like when i deep it theres no real passion there and so im jsut afraid that ill be like that with every degree or job and i jsut hate being that way i guess but yeahhh thank you for ur replyy i hope that i wont be jobless lol
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

Good luck!
Chloe

Thank u so much for ur reply !! I havent really done any work experience apart from those online ones so i might consider doing it in real life thankk youu. I dont really have a clue on where to find any.. is there a website or do i message people near me

If you're looking for work experience you could try get something in hospitality (cafe, hotel), perhaps work in a library, volunteer somewhere, or even work shadow your parents/guardians for a day if you can! Try as much as you can and have fun with it!

In terms of finding the experience, the best thing to do is go and ask in person. If that's a little daunting you can always send emails :smile:
Reply 8
Yessss like a lot of my friends know what they want to be, but i have so many ambitions which arent really ‘true’ like when i deep it theres no real passion there and so im jsut afraid that ill be like that with every degree or job and i jsut hate being that way i guess but yeahhh thank you for ur replyy i hope that i wont be jobless lol

dw u wont be😂😂

Hi,

There is really no need to worry about what you want to do at this point (or really any point) in your education and career journey. Throughout most people's lives, they change what they are doing and sometimes quite frequently. Of course, sometimes people are lucky and know what they want to do early on but this really is a minority. When I chose my A-Levels I didn't know what I wanted to do. Then when I chose my uni course I just chose one I kind of enjoyed because I still didn't know. After 4 years at undergrad, I had worked out I wanted to qualify as a barrister so chose to do the law conversion. However, I really only made that decision in my final term so you have plenty of time!

Good luck 🙂

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending