The Student Room Group

A level or btec

Hey there, I'm considering taking psychology in September at a sixth form college. However, there are two options, the btec applied psychology and the A-level. I'm leaning more towards applied psychology because I tend to do very well with coursework components. I'm just wondering is there a big difference in content and am I limited in what it might lead to.
Reply 1
Nigh on all universities (if you're planning on going to one) accept alternative certifications to A-levels: such as a BTEC, so in regard to future-prospects it should be relatively similar. Depending on who you would be taking the A-Level/BTEC with, it may be different: can you access the sixth forms prospectus, because they should be able to inform you of what modules you would take? You could always email the admissions for your sixth form. If you know the exam board you can always look on the board's website too, to get a good idea and compare.

For anything like this, I would always personally recommend going with the option you enjoy more: you're more likely to do better, and higher grades are always preferable to having lower grades with something that may stereotypically seem to have more prestige (not that it does). Hope that helps.
Original post by {Moss}
Nigh on all universities (if you're planning on going to one) accept alternative certifications to A-levels: such as a BTEC, so in regard to future-prospects it should be relatively similar. Depending on who you would be taking the A-Level/BTEC with, it may be different: can you access the sixth forms prospectus, because they should be able to inform you of what modules you would take? You could always email the admissions for your sixth form. If you know the exam board you can always look on the board's website too, to get a good idea and compare.

For anything like this, I would always personally recommend going with the option you enjoy more: you're more likely to do better, and higher grades are always preferable to having lower grades with something that may stereotypically seem to have more prestige (not that it does). Hope that helps.

Cheers for the reply. I'm going to email the admissions team soon regarding this. Good to know that it would lead to similar things because I'm also considering doing a btec in human biology.
Reply 3
Original post by Adam.phillips
Hey there, I'm considering taking psychology in September at a sixth form college. However, there are two options, the btec applied psychology and the A-level. I'm leaning more towards applied psychology because I tend to do very well with coursework components. I'm just wondering is there a big difference in content and am I limited in what it might lead to.

hey, I do Applied psychology so I'm going to give to the pros and cons and it's up to you what you decide.

pros:
you only get to do 2 A levels so you can only focus on fewer exams during the May/June exam season
you can retake your exams if you don't do well the first time
not content-heavy compared to A-level psychology
coursework is somewhat easy compared to other BTECs

cons:
if you do end up retaking exams during your exam season you have more things to revise
not a lot of universities accept BTEC that's combined with a levels
some universities are strict when it comes to BTECs with A levels e.g. if you are trying to apply for a law degree some would only accept applied law or business, so keep that in mind when you want to apply to universities, but it depends on the degree you want
your coursework can intervene with your exams

but, overall I'm happy I did Applied psychology, yet again it just depends on the individual.

Quick Reply

Latest