The Student Room Group

if you were a local, would you commute to uni?

I'm super stressed right now because I can't decide if I want to commute from home next year or move in with my friends.
On one hand I really like my friends and I don't wanna miss out on the fun uni lifestyle (they'll be spending a lot of time together without me), but also I can't work out if that's enough reason to spend an extra 10k.
Another thing is that I'm really comfortable at home and will miss my parents a lot, but the flip side of that is I'm also aware of my lack of independence (still acting like a child in front of my parents).

If you were in my situation what would you do? And why?
Sorry just to add, I say I'm a local but it does take me 40 minutes on the bus.
The 'missing out on the fun' thing is coming from not being able to go out at night easily as I'd have to walk to the house from the bus stop on my own. Plus cooking meals together etc
Also if I wasn't living with my friends I'd 100% stay home, the main thing is that I really value the friendship and want to keep/develop it!
Original post by Anonymous
I'm super stressed right now because I can't decide if I want to commute from home next year or move in with my friends.
On one hand I really like my friends and I don't wanna miss out on the fun uni lifestyle (they'll be spending a lot of time together without me), but also I can't work out if that's enough reason to spend an extra 10k.
Another thing is that I'm really comfortable at home and will miss my parents a lot, but the flip side of that is I'm also aware of my lack of independence (still acting like a child in front of my parents).

Hi anon!

It's totally normal to feel stressed in terms of university accommodation arrangements.
I am in my fourth year of university, and for the past four years I have been commuting. I chose not to live on campus purely because I felt comfortable being at home and I am pretty close to my parents.
I think it may be a good idea to weigh up your options. You could write a list of pros and cons for each option and take it from there. Go with what you feel the most comfortable and confident with.
Also, you don't have to have the same living arrangements throughout your degree, with whatever option you decide to go with for your first year you can always change the following year :smile:

I hope this has been helpful!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield

Hi Anonymous,
Ultimately, it's your decision to make. Weigh up the pros and cons of both options. I attended a university near me but chose to move out. I wanted the independence and knew I could travel home whenever I needed or wanted to. It may be worth considering how many contact hours you have at uni. Will you be travelling in often? This may dictate how frequently you'll see your friends.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Hi!

I understand exactly where you are coming from and why you would be a bit stuck on what to do.

Is this going to be your first year at uni? If so, it might be worth moving out and testing the waters and see how you get on moving in with your friends? If you live local, you can always go home and see your family whenever you like :smile:

However, like previous answers have mentioned, I would definitely weigh up the pros and cons of moving out into student accommodation. For instance, how much money will you have to support yourself?

I commuted to and from uni from my family home (I only lived 30 minutes away) and I still feel like I got the full uni experience, I joined societies, went on lots of nights out and made lots of new friends.

My friends stayed in halls so I would sometimes stay with them at their unis and I also really enjoyed that sometimes wished I had moved out - but overall financially it wasn't an option for me.

I would say have a good think, write down the pros and cons of both and be assured that either way you will still be able to have a good social experience

Good luck,
T

Hey there!
I have friends who have opted to commute to university and it works for them because it's more money saved on rent and usually travel fees are quite cheap to come into a city if you have the right travel cards. However, the friends I do have who commute say they feel as though they've really missed out on the university experience. They can come and do things with us during the day, between lectures and things like that which is good for making time up as you might have big gaps between your timetabled sessions where you're unsure about what to do. Having said this, it's more difficult to do the night-out side of things when public transport stops at a certain time and taxi's are expensive if you live outside the city. It depends whether that's a big thing for you and whether your friends would let you stay at their accommodation.

It is true like you've suggested that they will be spending a lot of time together and university students are quite passive in the sense that after a while they might slowly forget to keep things consistent, to no fault of your own of course. I can't really speak on your friends because I don't know them as well as you do but as a general rule of thumb, really think it over and decide whether you could play catch up after you've not been there. Weigh up what the likelihood is that they'd come and visit you if you were to stay at home versus would your parents come and visit if you stayed at uni? University is a good way to get some independence as it is your first experience living alone. Since you live close anyway, you could always just go home regularly if that was something you wanted to think about. The only thing to think about with commuting is how bad travel strikes are at the moment and what your options would be if it was late or cancelled. Even think about weather conditions, would it be easy for you to get in during the snowy months?

You could always move out for first year, see how it goes and see what you prefer. Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Sorry just to add, I say I'm a local but it does take me 40 minutes on the bus.
The 'missing out on the fun' thing is coming from not being able to go out at night easily as I'd have to walk to the house from the bus stop on my own. Plus cooking meals together etc
Also if I wasn't living with my friends I'd 100% stay home, the main thing is that I really value the friendship and want to keep/develop it!

I always say if your travelling are than 1 hour a day your wasting time it really is a good idea to stay in accommodation at uni particually in first year and if your mates want to live with you so much the better.
thanks for the responses above, actually this is for 2nd year. does that make a difference?
thanks for the responses above, actually this is for 2nd year. does that make a difference?

Save on that cost imo. It would also remove the workload of cooking and keeping your room tidy. From the second year onwards it's better to tone down socially and focus on the modules as now is the time when marks matter a lot. Just meet your friends at uni. and maybe if you want to leave campus late to hang out. But seriously having your house nearby is such a blessing.
When I first went to a brick uni, I lived 2.1 miles away from it. I lived with my fiance (now husband) at the time, not my parents. So naturally I commuted.
I honestly think that if you want the full social experience, it's better to move into halls, but naturally there are benefits to living at home so you'll have to weigh up the pros and cons.

Yeah I’d totally live out then you won’t get this kind of chance int he future as you and your mates spread out over the world after graduation living out in this situation is strongly advised from me.

Hey,

There is no right or wrong decision here, it is completely up to you and how you will feel more comfortable.

Firstly, if you are comfortable at home and do not mind commuting, it might be a great way to save some money. I am sure your friends will be fine if you did want to stay over if you did want to go out etc. Maybe talk to them about this?

You also are welcome to change your mind for your 2nd or 3rd year. If you live at home for the first year and then decide you want to move in with your friends, this will not be an issue. This goes both ways - if you do decide to live away, you could move back home etc

I understand your main concern is about maintaining your friendships, so it is definitely worth talking to them.

It might be worth making a pros/cons list, see how you feel after. And most importantly, what is your heart telling you. Do whatever you will be most comfortable with doing.

All the best,
Sara :smile:
I stayed at home and my commute was a similar length 40-60mins door to door depending on traffic. I had a great time and had plenty of social stuff to do.

Hi Anon,

I can see our student rep Aaliya has replied to you below but thought to add a different perspective. I am now a Social Media and Content Officer at the university but studied here 2013-2017. I was local to Huddersfield (coming from Leeds) so could've done a 30-40 min commute each way (bus to train station then 20 minute train) but chose to move out. One of the best decisions I made.

I lived in Halls in my first year then found private lets with friends in second year and final year, and leased a studio on my placement year. Moving out is a blessing, I had and have great relationships with my family but moving out did so much more for my independence and personal growth and life skills. I now had to budget more, shop, cook and clean for myself, sort bills, a lot of skills that you'd need eventually but this way you are going through it with groups of other people so you can lean on each other to get it done together.

You typically end up spending 4 months of the year with family anyway- one month at Christmas and three over the summer so you can still find quality time with family and if you are in commuting distance, you can still visit home on weekends. I found myself coming home maybe one weekend in six to see friends back home and see family. I found that after I had moved out, going home and living with family ended up putting a strain on those relationships, not in an adversely negative way, just in that we had massively different schedules. My parents and brother all worked full time and had a very structured and consistent routine and that did not fit my new found sense of freedom and less structured routine. We lived very different lives so naturally there's a little friction. I loved living with my friends while still having that option to go home and see family.

Like everyone else has said, weigh up your pros and cons, but I loved moving out and if you see it as a chance for personal growth and independence, I would recommend it.

You mentioned it is a big financial commitment, I've found a short helpful explanation from Martin Lewis/Money Saving Expert
"Student loans are debts, but unlike other debts, such as credit cards and personal loans, they are types of debt that you only repay if your earnings are above certain amounts, and unlike other types of debts, your monthly payments (if anything) are based on what you earn, not what you owe."

Full article by Martin Lewis/Money Saving expert:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/

Many thanks,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer
University of Huddersfield
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Hi Anon,

I can see our student rep Aaliya has replied to you below but thought to add a different perspective. I am now a Social Media and Content Officer at the university but studied here 2013-2017. I was local to Huddersfield (coming from Leeds) so could've done a 30-40 min commute each way (bus to train station then 20 minute train) but chose to move out. One of the best decisions I made.

I lived in Halls in my first year then found private lets with friends in second year and final year, and leased a studio on my placement year. Moving out is a blessing, I had and have great relationships with my family but moving out did so much more for my independence and personal growth and life skills. I now had to budget more, shop, cook and clean for myself, sort bills, a lot of skills that you'd need eventually but this way you are going through it with groups of other people so you can lean on each other to get it done together.

You typically end up spending 4 months of the year with family anyway- one month at Christmas and three over the summer so you can still find quality time with family and if you are in commuting distance, you can still visit home on weekends. I found myself coming home maybe one weekend in six to see friends back home and see family. I found that after I had moved out, going home and living with family ended up putting a strain on those relationships, not in an adversely negative way, just in that we had massively different schedules. My parents and brother all worked full time and had a very structured and consistent routine and that did not fit my new found sense of freedom and less structured routine. We lived very different lives so naturally there's a little friction. I loved living with my friends while still having that option to go home and see family.

Like everyone else has said, weigh up your pros and cons, but I loved moving out and if you see it as a chance for personal growth and independence, I would recommend it.

You mentioned it is a big financial commitment, I've found a short helpful explanation from Martin Lewis/Money Saving Expert
"Student loans are debts, but unlike other debts, such as credit cards and personal loans, they are types of debt that you only repay if your earnings are above certain amounts, and unlike other types of debts, your monthly payments (if anything) are based on what you earn, not what you owe."

Full article by Martin Lewis/Money Saving expert:
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes/

Many thanks,
Lewis

Social Media and Content Officer
University of Huddersfield

Thank you so much Lewis for sharing your experience, it's very insightful! Certainly agree about the difference in schedule point. Just wondering, did you find it difficult to set time for studying while you lived with your friends? Worried I might be tempted to go out all the time or just chat in the kitchen doing nothing for hours.

Hi @Anonymous

If I was in your situation and you can afford to, I personally would move in with your friends as you said you really like and get on with them. I know this can be expensive but as you said if they are all living together and you aren't, there is that risk that you will become more distant and I personally wouldn't want to miss out on that experience. I think university is about these experiences and money will always come back to you. I think it will be a great opportunity to expand your independence and really make the most of university, you can always visit home when you get homesick :smile: Of course this is just my personal view on what I'd do in your situation and it is important to do whatever is right for you, if you live close you could always also visit your friends as well. Like others have mentioned there really is no right or wrong answer it is just what is right for you.

I hope this is helpful!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student
I’ve commuted and although I do feel it’s been the best thing to do in regards to my physical and mental health as well as helping me to save money, the social aspects have been awful
I think it's really up to you and your home life. I lived in uni accommodation last year and, since I went abroad last semester, am commuting into uni this semester. It takes me ~1 hr 10 min to go from leaving my house to being on campus. I am planning on moving back out next year. Here are my personal pros and cons which might give you somethings to think about:

Pros:

Significantly cheaper

Home-cooked meals, don't have to go grocery shopping

I can hang out with my sister who I adore and have the support of my family right there - I like spending time with them

My mum helps me with washing if I don't have time for it

The comfort of home and being in the area I grew up in

Cons:

I find commuting itself to be rly tiring and it means I get less sleep as I have to wake up earlier (I am not a morning person)

Less time for studying as I spend ~2 hr 20 min just getting to and from uni everyday

I feel like I'm on holiday and don't have any libraries or student study areas nearby so I struggle getting work done at home and obviously can't stay in the library as late as I would like as I have to take the train back

I miss being able to make spontaneous plans with my friends, having late night study sessions on a whim, going out (i.e. the nightlife of the city my uni is in)

I really like having my own space to sit in silence and not talk to anyone when I don't feel like being social without hurting anyone's feelings (I share a room with my sister and my parents think that my social battery running out shouldn't apply to them- although they are getting better at this tbh)

Overall, I do really enjoy living at home, but I study better when I'm close to campus and surrounded by other students and I do prefer being more independent and having the option to come back home. So think about what things you value most and what things would impact your studies and mental health to make a decision.
Thank you so much Lewis for sharing your experience, it's very insightful! Certainly agree about the difference in schedule point. Just wondering, did you find it difficult to set time for studying while you lived with your friends? Worried I might be tempted to go out all the time or just chat in the kitchen doing nothing for hours.

Hi Anon,

Glad you found it helpful and hopefully didn't make your decision any harder?

I didn't find it too difficult but I think that was because I would separate home and 'work' - when I was on campus, I was there to study. Being on my course we had a 24 hour computer suite and our library during peak times (deadlines near end of term) was open 24 hours too. That way I found that when I was at home, it allowed me to relax and create that separation of space and enjoy time around my flatmates too. While it doesn't fully solve the problem- as you will sometimes need to leave those social situations to get work done, it does make your time where you are working much more productive!

Many thanks,
Lewis

UoH

Hello @Anonymous#1,

I am a university graduate from the University of Salford, but I also lived local to the university before my time there and had the same debates you have now. Firstly I want to say that what I did is not what you have to do, everyone is different and everyone's situations are unique. I did live in halls, and then with friends for both second and third year, and even though it was more money and I had to get a part time job, it was worth the memories and good times we had.

Missing your family is also a normal and completely understandable thing to feel, I guess we are lucky enough to have the best of both worlds during our time at university no matter where we live.

The advice I would give is to come up with a pros and cons list of both options and then weigh up what matters most to you, in the end it is your decision.

Hope this helps
Matthew
University of Salford Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending