The Student Room Group

warwick or UCL for maths??

hi i got an offer for maths at warwick (A*A*A) and UCL (A*A*C) i do maths further maths and chem. i'm really struggling to decide which uni to put as my firm!!!

warwick:
pros:
- i really like the look of their course and their maths department is meant to be one of the best in the UK
- they also offer a year abroad in 3rd year
- their maths facilities and building looks so good, better than UCL's which is apparently only a few floors
- has a maths society where you can ask questions and discuss about maths in general which looks fun too
- accomodation is a LOT cheaper compared to UCL's, so i save a lot of money
- the support system for maths students here is better than UCL's
- can take modules from many other departments

cons:
- i went to the offer holder open day a few days ago and was dissapointed in how the campus looked and how isolated and quiet it seems - idk if it was just bc it was raining and cloudy that day, but i didn't get a good vibe and gut feeling there compared to UCL
- in coventry
- apparently the social life is dead compared to other unis, i still want to be able to have fun while being a student and i prefer the idea of studying in a city after living in the middle of nowhere most my life

UCL:
pros:
- i love the idea of studying in a large city and it's an opportunity to study at one of the best universities in the world. it is more internationally renowned than warwick so (i think) it might help if i want to work abroad in the future but idk if that's necessarily true
- i feel like i'd prefer a city campus a lot more than a normal uni campus at, it just feels more lively
- better nightlife

cons:
- one of their core modules is newtonian mechanics which is looks like it's basically physics which i hate. i took physics in y12 and dropped it bc it was awful, so the idea of studying a module on mechanics at uni level seems like a nightmare - i thought i was studying maths not physics??
- obviously expensive, costs like an arm and a leg for accomodation each week. my family isn't rich at all so i'd get a higher maintenance student loan but idk if the experience is worth all the money. my parents said they'd be happy to send me some money and i could also get a part time job but the cost of living in london is sooo high

also little extra thing i want to ask: my offer is contextual and doesn't include any admissions tests, i feel like i'll be behind in mathematical ability compared to those who did well in STEP/MAT for their offer?? i did do the MAT for imperial but i know i did awful on it and really struggled in preparing for it. do admissions tests like this necessarily affect how you do at degree level maths?? :frown:

if anyone could share their experiences at either of these unis and offer any advice that would be much appreciated! :smile:
I would go for the course you like the best. Uni students invariably have a good time wherever they go. I went to open days at both UCL and Warwick and both had good social life’s in the free time they had ( maths students seem to have less free time than most others). Warwick students have a direct bus organised bus from campus to Lemington and Coventry and back for nights out outside campus.
Check the affordability of each. Are you eligible for bursaries? London can be very expensive as you have noted. Being short of money can be a real nightmare and maths isn’t the sort of course where you want to be doing a lot of part time work.
We are in a very similar boat (but I did not apply to Warwick), if we have the same a levels and same offer from UCL - I also did tragically on the MAT (maybe higher than 40 idk) and got rejected from Oxford but hopefully Imperial lets me in. To answer your question, MATHS at Warwick sounds BETTER than MATHS at UCL, so you should go to Warwick for MATHS, also - there are a lot people who have done well on the MAT who have ended up going to universities that don’t require the MAT, so I assume that there isn’t really a level (no pun intended) playing field anywhere as there’s always going to be students who you may consider as being way better than you. Life is also unpredictable and your work ethic may put you at the top of your class, you just never know. As for campus’, that is definitely important but ask yourself which your prioritise more, a better campus or a better maths education (even though UCL is very good, for top students it is something to consider if everyone is saying Warwick is better. If you plan to remain in the UK after university then connections shouldn’t be a problem if you went to a maths powerhouse like Warwick. For me, I’m stuck between imperial and UCL because I don’t know how I’d deal with a rejection from imperial (although I got rejected from Oxford and they both require the MAT) - I prefer imperials campus over UCL too but you honestly never know where life takes you. Also - don’t worry too much about money if your student loans can cover it.

Original post by username5571638
hi i got an offer for maths at warwick (A*A*A) and UCL (A*A*C) i do maths further maths and chem. i'm really struggling to decide which uni to put as my firm!!!

warwick:
pros:
- i really like the look of their course and their maths department is meant to be one of the best in the UK
- their maths facilities and building looks so good, better than UCL's which is apparently only a few floors
- has a maths society where you can ask questions and discuss about maths in general which looks fun too

cons:
- i went to the offer holder open day a few days ago and was dissapointed in how the campus looked and how isolated and quiet it seems - idk if it was just bc it was raining and cloudy that day, but i didn't get a good vibe and gut feeling there compared to UCL
- in coventry
- apparently the social life is dead compared to other unis, i still want to be able to have fun while being a student and i prefer the idea of studying in a city after living in the middle of nowhere most my life

UCL:
pros:
- i love the idea of studying in a large city and it's an opportunity to study at one of the best universities in the world. it is more internationally renowned than warwick so (i think) it might help if i want to work abroad in the future but idk if that's necessarily true
- i feel like i'd prefer a city campus a lot more than a normal uni campus at, it just feels more lively
- better nightlife

cons:
- one of their core modules is newtonian mechanics which is looks like it's basically physics which i hate. i took physics in y12 and dropped it bc it was awful, so the idea of studying a module on mechanics at uni level seems like a nightmare - i thought i was studying maths not physics??
- obviously expensive, costs like an arm and a leg for accomodation each week. my family isn't rich at all so i'd get a higher maintenance student loan but idk if the experience is worth all the money. my parents said they'd be happy to send me some money and i could also get a part time job but the cost of living in london is sooo high

also little extra thing i want to ask: my offer is contextual and doesn't include any admissions tests, i feel like i'll be behind in mathematical ability compared to those who did well in STEP/MAT for their offer?? i did do the MAT for imperial but i know i did awful on it and really struggled in preparing for it. do admissions tests like this necessarily affect how you do at degree level maths?? :frown:

if anyone could share their experiences at either of these unis and offer any advice that would be much appreciated! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by username5571638

warwick:
pros:

cons:
- in coventry

UCL:
pros:
- better nightlife

cons:

if anyone could share their experiences at either of these unis and offer any advice that would be much appreciated!

I also applied for maths at UCL , I decided not to apply to Warwick as I live in birmingham already and Coventry is pretty depressing. It really depends on what mix you want from university - if you're looking to go out for gigs and club nights etc then probably London, but if you like just hanging out at pubs with friends on a quiet night then Warwick would be a good shout. Ultimately a toss up between Vibrant City (london) with Medium course vs Quiet city (Warwick) & really good course.

Quick Reply

Latest