The Student Room Group

Loughborough, Falmouth or Norwich for graphic design and/or Illustration

I just went to a UCAS's event and researched and talked to several Universities. The ones that caught my eyes were Loughborough, Falmouth and Norwich. I was just wondering which school would be the best for Graphic Design and materials for student use (better art department). I would also like to know which one would have a more positive work ethic and environment for their students. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Guy Willis
I just went to a UCAS's event and researched and talked to several Universities. The ones that caught my eyes were Loughborough, Falmouth and Norwich. I was just wondering which school would be the best for Graphic Design and materials for student use (better art department). I would also like to know which one would have a more positive work ethic and environment for their students. Thanks.

Hey there! I can't speak for Falmouth or Norwich and didn't apply there, they may be good, but I'm not sure :smile:

I'm a first-year Graphic communication and Illustration student at Loughborough university (our version of graphic design) and I love it here! People get put off by the fact it's a sports university and has to be 'sporty' but you don't. I'm the least sporty person ever, a total video game nerd and artist lol. I might have a different perspective from maybe third years but so far, this is what I have found:

The work ethic here is insane and everyone I've met on my course has been absolutely lovely. People have different backgrounds as they do at every uni, some of them have been freelancing and some others came from fine art or foundation. The tutors are all lovely, and kind but also very honest towards your work. When people have got grades back, there is honest feedback that actually helps improve work and options to discuss it with tutors. The art department (and the university as a whole) is also very accommodating to those of us with disabilities (whether it would be autism/adhd like me, physical disabilities or dyslexia). The tutors are understanding and all lectures are recorded if you miss anything.

In terms of facilities, I haven't explored a lot of the fine art buildings but we are allowed access to there, as well as the usual graphic design studies. We have mac labs as everything is taught on apple macs (most of the students have MacBooks but a few also have other brands) that we get lessons on adobe photoshop, illustrator etc. I've had tutorials in screenprinting, bookbinding, risograph, animation, stop frame as well as the option to sign up for other crazy things. There's plenty of space to go and study in and get feedback from people, as well as a free breakfast club on Wednesdays. Although I will admit that not much is provided material-wise, you buy your own paint, sketchbooks etc from either the university art shop (which is great) or online for cheaper. For the most part, you can get buy with a laptop, sketchbook and pencil as a minimum but some workshop needs other things, you get a list to think about buying before arriving here.

One thing I do stand by is employability. There regular careers fair where you can talk to people and the option for a placement year. I'm thinking about heading to do my placement at Mclaren, Mercedes or Cabruarys currently as I talked to them at the careers fair. Lboro is high on the rankings for graphics which helps when applying to places. There's plenty of help if you need it as well.

The university itself is kind but massive. There's a campus shuttle and regular buses across campus to get around. The arts are all in the same place but sometimes lectures can be in the central campus. With it being a campus and not an in-city university, it's safe and easy to get around. The only downside is for those who really like cities because Loughborough is a really small town with not too much nightlife outside of the student union. I'd advise an open day to see if it's something you want.

Hope that helps and that someone replied for the other two as well! If you want to know anything, please ask! :smile:

I know rankings don't mean a lot to most people but just in case you wanted them to help you look into different unis:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2022/sep/24/best-uk-universities-for-graphic-design-league-table
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/art-and-design

You get 5 ucas choices so if you liked these three apply to all 3. Then visit and decide which is the best fit for you and your interests.

They're all good options and produce excellent graduates. The things you mention (materials, work ethic) are relatively minor issues compared to the location/environment - and you can only judge that by visiting for yourself. A large campus Uni in the midlands is going to be very different to a relatively small art college in a cathedral city, or a fishing village in Cornwall.
Original post by Sav055
Lboro is high on the rankings for graphics which helps when applying to places.

There is no connection at all between the ranking of a course and successfully applying for jobs. Employers don't know (or care) about University ranking systems, only the quality of work in a portfolio and someone's interpersonal skills.

The rankings themselves are also deeply flawed.
Original post by Sav055
Hey there! I can't speak for Falmouth or Norwich and didn't apply there, they may be good, but I'm not sure :smile:

I'm a first-year Graphic communication and Illustration student at Loughborough university (our version of graphic design) and I love it here! People get put off by the fact it's a sports university and has to be 'sporty' but you don't. I'm the least sporty person ever, a total video game nerd and artist lol. I might have a different perspective from maybe third years but so far, this is what I have found:

The work ethic here is insane and everyone I've met on my course has been absolutely lovely. People have different backgrounds as they do at every uni, some of them have been freelancing and some others came from fine art or foundation. The tutors are all lovely, and kind but also very honest towards your work. When people have got grades back, there is honest feedback that actually helps improve work and options to discuss it with tutors. The art department (and the university as a whole) is also very accommodating to those of us with disabilities (whether it would be autism/adhd like me, physical disabilities or dyslexia). The tutors are understanding and all lectures are recorded if you miss anything.

In terms of facilities, I haven't explored a lot of the fine art buildings but we are allowed access to there, as well as the usual graphic design studies. We have mac labs as everything is taught on apple macs (most of the students have MacBooks but a few also have other brands) that we get lessons on adobe photoshop, illustrator etc. I've had tutorials in screenprinting, bookbinding, risograph, animation, stop frame as well as the option to sign up for other crazy things. There's plenty of space to go and study in and get feedback from people, as well as a free breakfast club on Wednesdays. Although I will admit that not much is provided material-wise, you buy your own paint, sketchbooks etc from either the university art shop (which is great) or online for cheaper. For the most part, you can get buy with a laptop, sketchbook and pencil as a minimum but some workshop needs other things, you get a list to think about buying before arriving here.

One thing I do stand by is employability. There regular careers fair where you can talk to people and the option for a placement year. I'm thinking about heading to do my placement at Mclaren, Mercedes or Cabruarys currently as I talked to them at the careers fair. Lboro is high on the rankings for graphics which helps when applying to places. There's plenty of help if you need it as well.

The university itself is kind but massive. There's a campus shuttle and regular buses across campus to get around. The arts are all in the same place but sometimes lectures can be in the central campus. With it being a campus and not an in-city university, it's safe and easy to get around. The only downside is for those who really like cities because Loughborough is a really small town with not too much nightlife outside of the student union. I'd advise an open day to see if it's something you want.

Hope that helps and that someone replied for the other two as well! If you want to know anything, please ask! :smile:

I know rankings don't mean a lot to most people but just in case you wanted them to help you look into different unis:
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2022/sep/24/best-uk-universities-for-graphic-design-league-table
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/art-and-design

Hi @Guy Willis,

It's great to hear that you are interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

I just wanted to mention that I would recommend looking at the Graphic Design BA course page and comparing this to other course pages. On Loughborough's course page, you will find module details, careers information and rankings.

Then I would compare things like the careers support, the location, societies/sports you might want to try and anything else that you may want to consider when making a decision about which university to go to.

The comment above about potentially visiting the universities is a great idea - you could also take a look at any virtual tours. At the end of the day, you have to make the right decision for you!

If you do have any other questions about Loughborough, let me know :smile:

- Lindsay
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by insidedesigner
There is no connection at all between the ranking of a course and successfully applying for jobs. Employers don't know (or care) about University ranking systems, only the quality of work in a portfolio and someone's interpersonal skills.

The rankings themselves are also deeply flawed.

I get your point completely. That's why I said about them not meaning a lot to most people (I'll aim to be more specific about what I mean in future) but they mean something to the odd person, a few people on my course used it to look at the student satisfaction scores :smile: I never mentioned it having anything to do with jobs but you are completely right with what you're saying. Thank you for cleaning it up for the original poster.

Quick Reply

Latest