The Student Room Group

Have you used ChatGPT to help you with your homework/revision?

Poll

Have you used ChatGPT to help you with your homework/revision?

ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence bot that has been a hot topic since its launch at the end of last year.

And with good reason it’s trained on text taken from the internet and will instantly provide answers to any question, as well as being able to produce high-quality essays in seconds.

We'll have to wait and see what impact it has on your learning, but it’s already allowed in International Baccalaureate essays as long as it’s credited like any other source.

But how do you feel about it? Have you tried using it to help with your homework or revision? Or do you see it as a form of cheating?

Let us know :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I haven't used it, but my professors have warned us about using it and it being considered as plagiarism. Don't use it. Besides, it's scary how advanced new AI are and seriously don't want to know what would happen if they keep on improving them
I'm a secondary school teacher, I've used it several times to get reading material that's suitable for my pupils. It cuts out half an hour of my lesson planning time as I massively reduces the formatting that needs to be done to texts that I will normally pull off the internet.
Original post by angelavm
I haven't used it, but my professors have warned us about using it and it being considered as plagiarism. Don't use it. Besides, it's scary how advanced new AI are and seriously don't want to know what would happen if they keep on improving them

Yeah chatGPT is specifically mentioned in tools we can't use for courseworks because it could get flagged on turnitin
I like to copy and paste some of my lecture notes into it and ask it to simplify it etc... Really good esp with scientific concepts.
It could be very useful, however it will be getting information from somewhere and I don't think it adequately references its sources, plus I'm not sure whether ChatGPT even has permission to use some of the information in terms of original authors of articles.
This is currently making me succesful in my Postgraduate teaching course. Highly recommend. Not even turnitin or a plagarism tool can detect it.
Original post by Vic Vinegar
ChatGPT is an artificial intelligence bot that has been a hot topic since its launch at the end of last year.

And with good reason it’s trained on text taken from the internet and will instantly provide answers to any question, as well as being able to produce high-quality essays in seconds.

We'll have to wait and see what impact it has on your learning, but it’s already allowed in International Baccalaureate essays as long as it’s credited like any other source.

But how do you feel about it? Have you tried using it to help with your homework or revision? Or do you see it as a form of cheating?

i love chatgpt when it comes to revision. i can give questions and quickly understand something. i try not to do it for homework as thats about my understanding and if i did, then i would have a false sense of knowledge and may not revise properly. In my opinion, i think it is cheating when it comes to submitting actual work but if its for your understanding, that thing is my holy grail. its been a game changer
Reply 8
I use it to summarise articles/research which is beyond my level of understanding (of a higher level) which can help me gain extra insight into my work so I can understand those a bit more. I would never use it to cheat though, it probably wouldn't do a great job anyway
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Vic Vinegar

Just used it to find out the history of my project as part of my literature review for my dissertation but I have avoided it at all costs ever since.
(edited 1 year ago)
I am not sure, but does Chat GPT still ask for phone numbers?
Original post by ll ACR ll
I am not sure, but does Chat GPT still ask for phone numbers?

I think so
I've had a play with it and it might have some uses, but it's also got some problems as a homework doing system.

first (and obvious) you're supposed to be benefiting from the process of doing your own homework - you don't benefit, or not nearly as much if you're just getting it completed for you.

second it doesn't seem very good at knowing when it doesn't know something, but it will make stuff up to fill gaps and seem extremely confident about the made up stuff being true... rather like certain politicians.
Tried it once on my chemistry homework and it kept giving me the wrong answers
I've been using it a lot lately to help learn python.
It's been tremendous in this capacity. I can ask it to write really elaborate code snippets to perform really specific functions, and then I can ask it for specific details about what certain lines do and why. It's code usually doesn't work fully when it is run, but it gets me close and really is helping me to understand the language better.
Original post by 1111aaaa2
I've been using it a lot lately to help learn python.
It's been tremendous in this capacity. I can ask it to write really elaborate code snippets to perform really specific functions, and then I can ask it for specific details about what certain lines do and why. It's code usually doesn't work fully when it is run, but it gets me close and really is helping me to understand the language better.

Woah this is something I never thought about, defo going to use it like this! Thanks!

As for me, I've got a some issues which mean I just cannot stay focused on any given task (if im not interested in it) for a long period of time. For reasons I won't mention, I can't get these diagnosed at the moment. So I use ChatGPT to help me complete my assignments.
3% Plagiarism works well for me to be honest.
I just tell GPT to re-write it a few times and then I take out anything that doesn't make sense (which rarely ever happens).

Loving it so far, but aware of how it's not good.
Is it plagiarism if you ask Alexa how to spell a word? or have Microsoft word check your grammar for you? Or to search for hours on google on how to use single commands in python? I don't think so. If you can get ChatGPT to create a looping function in python that can iterate two dimensional matrixes cross correlated with sensor data to compute volumetric efficiencies and actually get working code right from a copy and paste, then you have been asking it for a while and learning from it I am sure. There comes a point where you can either, ask it differently, or just change the code it gave you yourself. At least it gets you in the ballpark.

Point is, some people need help with sentence structure and syntax in English, some need that kind of help with programming languages. As long as people can learn from it, we should keep using it.
Original post by 1111aaaa2
Is it plagiarism if you ask Alexa how to spell a word? or have Microsoft word check your grammar for you? Or to search for hours on google on how to use single commands in python? I don't think so. If you can get ChatGPT to create a looping function in python that can iterate two dimensional matrixes cross correlated with sensor data to compute volumetric efficiencies and actually get working code right from a copy and paste, then you have been asking it for a while and learning from it I am sure. There comes a point where you can either, ask it differently, or just change the code it gave you yourself. At least it gets you in the ballpark.

Point is, some people need help with sentence structure and syntax in English, some need that kind of help with programming languages. As long as people can learn from it, we should keep using it.

If that's your assessmet I'd be a bit worried that your course is trying to train you for a career that's not going to exist in a short while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending