The Student Room Group

chat gpt is incredible… too good to be true?

I had an essay for chemistry to write and I needed some ideas. I’ve recently heard of the website chat gpt and it’s incredible ?!
It wrote my whole essay as if I wrote it and wrote it with extreme style as well. This seems too good to be true.
Original post by harlz_chalamet
I had an essay for chemistry to write and I needed some ideas. I’ve recently heard of the website chat gpt and it’s incredible ?!
It wrote my whole essay as if I wrote it and wrote it with extreme style as well. This seems too good to be true.

Be very careful. I did mention this before, but all schools, colleges and Universities are starting to use plagiarism software which can recognise ChatGPt and this can lead to disciplinary issues for malpractice. https://www.businessinsider.com/turnitin-will-detect-chatgpt-answers-openai-product-teachers-ai-speech-2023-1?r=US&IR=T
Don't use ChatGPT to write your essays. Have some pride in your own work.
That's crazy and scary
Reply 4
It's also not THAT good. We've been toying with it and it's basically all filler no killer, as we used to say.
Original post by harlz_chalamet

This is a way of gaming the system short term and losing big long term. Any feedback won't help you write better in the future, e.g. in an exam with no internet connection. Also that "essay" is now on file for ever, waiting for re-analysis by the next generation of AI plagiarism hunting software tools you can bet universities are investing in.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Its dangerous and not without its bias

Read up a bit about its creators.. very interesting
Let me be honest with you both as a tutor and an experienced essay writer and supervisor. Any tutor worth his salt can detect a chatGPT generated essay within the first 3 lines of reading. While the content may be different, chatGPT has a style that is extremely predictable - shallow, plain and often has a source from which it draws its content. Interestingly, if you paste the content back to chatGPT and ask it who wrote the essay, it will tell you it did. Remember, there are so many AI content detectors out there that will outrighly flag you. Importantly, this is one of the worst types of plagiarism since the AI won't respond to any feedback from your tutor. JUST DONT USE IT.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
I use ChatGPT as well to help me give me ideas for when I’m stuck on writing on an essay, you can ask it detailed questions on topics and the answers will you give you more insight. However please don’t actually copy paste an entire essay, you need to write down your own ideas.

Also the chatgpt style of writing isn’t university level at all, it’s very simple and repetitive.
Reply 9
Original post by yesiahh
I use ChatGPT as well to help me give me ideas for when I’m stuck on writing on an essay, you can ask it detailed questions on topics and the answers will you give you more insight. However please don’t actually copy paste an entire essay, you need to write down your own ideas.

Also the chatgpt style of writing isn’t university level at all, it’s very simple and repetitive.

If you're getting ideas from ChatGPT, you are in trouble. Why not try reading the set texts for ideas instead? After all, your tutors set the question, they set the texts, so there is possibly some relationship between the two? ChatGPT doesn't have ideas, it just spits out a summary of the most average generic sort of response to the topic, which is prone to inaccuracies not to mention tedium.

Quick Reply

Latest