The Student Room Group

Is using chat GPT to assist with assignments ‘cheating?

Not to actually write your assignments for you, but just for assistance with questions / tasks etc
Original post by Anonymous
Not to actually write your assignments for you, but just for assistance with questions / tasks etc

Is using a friend to assist with assignments cheating? Not to actually write your assignments for you, but just for assistance with questions / tasks etc.

I would say that the same logic should apply.

I'd have thought that having a friend help you understand the task and point you in the right would be fine. Can ChatGPT do that?

Similarly, having a friend look over a draft and provide feedback would probably be fine too. Can ChatGPT do that?

However, if any text generated by ChatGPT ends up being submitted as if it were produced by you, then yes - that's cheating.
Original post by DataVenia
Is using a friend to assist with assignments cheating? Not to actually write your assignments for you, but just for assistance with questions / tasks etc.

I would say that the same logic should apply.

I'd have thought that having a friend help you understand the task and point you in the right would be fine. Can ChatGPT do that?

Similarly, having a friend look over a draft and provide feedback would probably be fine too. Can ChatGPT do that?

However, if any text generated by ChatGPT ends up being submitted as if it were produced by you, then yes - that's cheating.

Yeah, I’m talking about using it for feedback / asking it to detail for me what an assignment task is actually asking me to do , not to write the whole thing for me
Yeah, I’m talking about using it for feedback / asking it to detail for me what an assignment task is actually asking me to do , not to write the whole thing for me

There is a real danger here in asking an AI to try to interpret "meaning" rather than just summarizing an existing text. If you don't know what the assignment means then best to ask the lecture.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia

There's an argument to be made that this is collusion.
Reply 5

Really, don't... ChatGPT is really bad at interpreting things. All it does is produce a statistical model of what the most probable sequence of words would be to the prompt; it isn't thinking about the question. That means it just gives you the most generic sort of response to the question possible. But essays are about original, critical, creative and analytical reasoning. ChatGPT is the opposite of what an essay requires. It spits out banalities, which are so banal and mediocre that they stick out like a sore thumb. It is very obvious to markers when you have used ChatGPT to write or help write/'plan' your essay. I used to see imaginative, if rather confused, essays from students attempting to think through the ideas themselves. Now I see a lot of absolutely generic responses that are just awful. It's going to be a painful period for a lot of people. The fail rate this year has quadrupled. If you think ChatGPT is going to help you do a good essay, please think again...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending