The Student Room Group

Henrietta Barnett school

Hi, I recently received a conditional offer from Henrietta Barnett and was wondering if I should move. It is slightly better in terms of grades than my current school and is much more well known. I’ve heard the teaching is quite bad in hbs, is this true? Also is hbs fully focused on academics? I’m strongly considering moving but am hesitant due to not being sure if I will enjoy it
Any advice would be really appreciated, especially if you’ve been to the school
first off, congratulations on getting an offer !!
I don't go to the school but I have friends that go there currently - honestly you'll hear bad things about all schools so you shouldn't necessarily base your judgements off of what you've heard (like people in my school say the teaching is very bad but the people who transfer in for sixth form mostly say the teaching is great - personally I think it always depends on personal preference, I love some teachers that others don't like and vice versa).
its always really helpful to go to a new setting and chances are you will really enjoy it, and if you don't move you might regret it later as it really is a great opportunity.
ultimately, don't focus on what you've heard about the school (as its harder to get better grades if the teachings awful anyways) and remember that people have a penchant for complaining, and if a new environment is what you're looking for - go for it !!
Original post by AliI3051
Hi, I recently received a conditional offer from Henrietta Barnett and was wondering if I should move. It is slightly better in terms of grades than my current school and is much more well known. I’ve heard the teaching is quite bad in hbs, is this true? Also is hbs fully focused on academics? I’m strongly considering moving but am hesitant due to not being sure if I will enjoy it
Original post by AliI3051

Did you go to today’s school tour thingy for offer holders? It was pretty informative & judging from what the students said the environment/activities are great, although teaching depends on the individual teachers
Original post by cogimyun
Did you go to today’s school tour thingy for offer holders? It was pretty informative & judging from what the students said the environment/activities are great, although teaching depends on the individual teachers

I was there. Absolutely love the school! Is my top choice. But m also trying to find out abt quality of teaching n class size. What do u think of the school?
Original post by cogimyun

Hey. I went on Thursday too. I was a bit underwhelmed if I’m honest. What did you think?
Reply 5
Original post by Mathsgirl888
Hey. I went on Thursday too. I was a bit underwhelmed if I’m honest. What did you think?

Hi, thanks for all the responses. I went on Thursday and really liked the headmistress and all the girls who went there seemed quite happy. The only think that put me off was the class sizes, which did seem really big especially for my chosen subjects. I think if I get the grades I will go there, thought the ranking thing scared me a bit. She made it seem like even if you get the grades of the conditional offer you’re not guaranteed a spot if people did better than you?? Or maybe I just misunderstood?
Original post by Mathsgirl888

I go to Latymer but the more I’m hearing is that traditional grammar schools are falling out of favour with top unis. LAET, NCS/ICS and these sorts of places seem to be getting better results. Also not a bad idea to leave a more ‘middle class’ school for something more reflective of the real work. I’m considering leaving Latymer for that reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending