The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

QMUL no contextual offer Finance???

So for almost every single Uni i applied to i managed to get a contextual offer. But for QMUL they not only didn’t give me a contextual, but also gave me a EPQ offer even though i don’t do it. I asked other people that live in the same area, go to the same school AND same college as me and they managed to get offers from A*AA taken down to ABB. Is this an admission error and if so, how do I fix this.
Do you meet Queen Marys contextual flags as they differ between universities. if so give them a ring. It is quicker than an email.

One grade drop applied if:

The school or college where you took (or are taking) your GCSE’s and or A-Levels has performed below the national average over the last three years1
Your school/college is sponsored by Queen Mary
You live in an area of high disadvantage defined using the IMD measure AND you live in an area where young people are less likely to progress to higher education, defined using the POLAR measure
Two grade drop applied if:

You are care experienced (in care for 13 weeks+)
You have participated in one of our sustained/partnered access schemes where we can verify successful completion. This includes Access to Queen Mary or Realising Opportunities
You are a refugee or asylum seeker
(edited 1 year ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Do you meet Queen Marys contextual flags as they differ between universities. if so give them a ring. It is quicker than an email.

One grade drop applied if:

The school or college where you took (or are taking) your GCSE’s and or A-Levels has performed below the national average over the last three years1
Your school/college is sponsored by Queen Mary
You live in an area of high disadvantage defined using the IMD measure AND you live in an area where young people are less likely to progress to higher education, defined using the POLAR measure
Two grade drop applied if:

You are care experienced (in care for 13 weeks+)
You have participated in one of our sustained/partnered access schemes where we can verify successful completion. This includes Access to Queen Mary or Realising Opportunities
You are a refugee or asylum seeker

Yeah so basically one of my friends who lives near me, went to the same secondary school and goes to the same college as me applied and she got a contextual offer. I am going to call them but I messaged them before about it. Dyu know if this is a recurring thing and it’s just an admission problem?
Original post by Revam
Yeah so basically one of my friends who lives near me, went to the same secondary school and goes to the same college as me applied and she got a contextual offer. I am going to call them but I messaged them before about it. Dyu know if this is a recurring thing and it’s just an admission problem?

I dont know but just because someone lives close to you doesnt entitle you to an offer as they could be in another post code. I would give them a ring. Admissions should be able to check for you. It might be a mistake but if not they will tell you why you dont meet their offer condition,
Reply 4
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont know but just because someone lives close to you doesnt entitle you to an offer as they could be in another post code. I would give them a ring. Admissions should be able to check for you. It might be a mistake but if not they will tell you why you dont meet their offer condition,

When i mean i close i mean she’s a block away from me 😭. But yeah im gonna call them on Monday and see what’s up.
Original post by Revam
When i mean i close i mean she’s a block away from me 😭. But yeah im gonna call them on Monday and see what’s up.

I think ringing them is the only thing you can do. As far as being a block away if it is a different post code it MIGHT be different,
It's usually postcode dependent and so if you live on a different street you might not qualify if it falls in a different postcode. Bear in mind also that all universities have different contextual offer criteria so just because you meet it for one uni doesn't mean you will meet it for another.

That said if they made you an EPQ offer and you aren't doing an EPQ it sounds like they may have made an error so worth getting in touch with them.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
It's usually postcode dependent and so if you live on a different street you might not qualify if it falls in a different postcode. Bear in mind also that all universities have different contextual offer criteria so just because you meet it for one uni doesn't mean you will meet it for another.

That said if they made you an EPQ offer and you aren't doing an EPQ it sounds like they may have made an error so worth getting in touch with them.

I just checked. I don’t think i’m eligible in terms of my postcode but i did go to a secondary and college that both are very much under the national average. Do you think i am still eligible?
Original post by Revam
I just checked. I don’t think i’m eligible in terms of my postcode but i did go to a secondary and college that both are very much under the national average. Do you think i am still eligible?

It depends on exactly what their criteria are. You need to check against that specific uni's criteria, not any other unis criteira.
Original post by Revam

Attend a state school performing below the national average

This is currently calculated using national school performance tables using data over the last three years. The question is whether your school is covered by this. Queen Mary advises this is 3 years up to 2019. Most universities use a single year. The only way to find out is to contact them and they can check for you.
Reply 10
Original post by artful_lounger

I tried calling them but they aren’t answering me 💀. Is there like a preferred method of contact or phone number I should call. They haven’t responded to my messages for a couple days and not answering my phone.
Original post by Revam
I tried calling them but they aren’t answering me 💀. Is there like a preferred method of contact or phone number I should call. They haven’t responded to my messages for a couple days and not answering my phone.

Well bear in mind that they will normally only be available business hours (9-5 Mon-Fri excluding public holidays). There should normally be various options to contact their admissions team on their webpage, typically email and phone, sometimes they may have a twitter account you can DM as well. I'd say just email them, and bear in mind it may take them a few weeks to respond to an email.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending