The Student Room Group

Maths

I'm currently doing higher maths in yr 11. I got a high grade 5 in my mocks but i'm looking to get a solid 6 or maybe a 7 in the real thing. Are there any useful revision tips?
Original post by munchypoosticks
I'm currently doing higher maths in yr 11. I got a high grade 5 in my mocks but i'm looking to get a solid 6 or maybe a 7 in the real thing. Are there any useful revision tips?

Look at your mocks - Where did you go wrong?

with these topics go online and find some yt videos - these can be super useful in simply helping you answer a complex question

Make revision sheets for these topics - Use Capital letters - plenty of examples - and lots of colour - (unless you're color blind/dyslexic etc - Apologies if so) - Just make it really clear so It is stuck in your head come revision time.

Also - With revision make sure to take lots of short breaks - overloading your brain won't help!

Hope this helps - I try and apply these techniques to my own revision but ususally end up screaming and doing a face plant in my paper-strewn desk lol.

Don't make the same mistakes as me - face planting really hurts. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by MadisonBailey06
Look at your mocks - Where did you go wrong?

with these topics go online and find some yt videos - these can be super useful in simply helping you answer a complex question

Make revision sheets for these topics - Use Capital letters - plenty of examples - and lots of colour - (unless you're color blind/dyslexic etc - Apologies if so) - Just make it really clear so It is stuck in your head come revision time.

Also - With revision make sure to take lots of short breaks - overloading your brain won't help!

Hope this helps - I try and apply these techniques to my own revision but ususally end up screaming and doing a face plant in my paper-strewn desk lol.

Don't make the same mistakes as me - face planting really hurts. :smile:

okay thank you sm! how much revision do you recommend?

The only way to improve is to practise. Don't waste time making notes or cards -

RAG-rate all tests and focus on your amber topics.

Look at these resources: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

Try these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports [start at Passport 3]

Go to revision sessions
okay thank you sm! how much revision do you recommend?

well -I try to do at least 1hr after school monday to thursday (I have Friday's off cos well...it's friday lol), if not just fit 15/30mins in wherever u can. I try to do a little more on the weekend, maybe 30 mins on a saturday and 2hrs on a Sunday, but obviously whatever works for you is fine. Even very small revision bursts through the day - like 5 mins trying a question you get stuck on/or forget how to do.

Asking others to help can be really beneficial too, revising with others can be really useful if you try the same question and then compare how you work it out -
or if you prefer to work alone - maybe listen to some classical music/instrumental pop music whilst youre doing it, this can help focus your mind. (try not to listen to songs with lyrics/songs that you know as this can be distracting)

Quick Reply

Latest