The Student Room Group

English literature or language

I'm taking bio and psychology at a-level and want to take an english. I get about the same grades in both and I enjoy them both the same too.
Is there one which is harder or more impressive to unis?
Reply 1
Have you got any idea of what you want to study in university? The reason I am asking this is because some courses will require you to take certain subjects for example for pharmacy requires 2 sciences.

If you aren’t sure whether to choose lit or language, I would say speak to your English teacher and ask what the 2 courses about and have a look online on the exam board website. I don’t know if universities have a preference, but if they do I would assume it is language, as when submitting GCSE grades anywhere they always ask for maths and English language.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by mumbygumby
I'm taking bio and psychology at a-level and want to take an english. I get about the same grades in both and I enjoy them both the same too.
Is there one which is harder or more impressive to unis?

Both are decent subjects. Choose whichever you enjoy more and think you might get the best grades in.
What do you want to do at uni? This may influence your decision.
When I choosing my A-Levels (a while ago), I was told literature was more respected than language and was encouraged to do literature. Not sure whether that is still the case now.
Reply 4
Original post by 7899
Have you got any idea of what you want to study in university? The reason I am asking this is because some courses will require you to take certain subjects for example for pharmacy requires 2 sciences.

If you aren’t sure whether to choose lit or language, I would say speak to your English teacher and ask what the 2 courses about and have a look online on the exam board website. I don’t know if universities have a preference, but if they do I would assume it is language, as when submitting GCSE grades anywhere they always ask for maths and English language.

Hope this helps :smile:

I am thinking of studying law at uni or some sort of psychology degree. Thank you so much for your help!
literature is a facilitating subject, although thats not such an emphasised concept today. Language is good for developing skills where you're encouraged to brainstorm and persuade (could link to law) whilst literature is good for analysing and thinking of creative interpretations (could link to both law and psych). Personally as someone who is planning to study clinical psych in the future, i took literature. best decision ever, its my therapy subject haha. good luck with your decision!
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
Both are decent subjects. Choose whichever you enjoy more and think you might get the best grades in.
What do you want to do at uni? This may influence your decision.

I want to do law or an english at uni, which would you say is best?
Original post by mumbygumby
I want to do law or an english at uni, which would you say is best?

For law it shouldn't matter which of the 2 you do.
For English though, I'd check the requirements on the unis websites to see what they say and if they have any preference.
Reply 8
Original post by psychstudent2625
literature is a facilitating subject, although thats not such an emphasised concept today. Language is good for developing skills where you're encouraged to brainstorm and persuade (could link to law) whilst literature is good for analysing and thinking of creative interpretations (could link to both law and psych). Personally as someone who is planning to study clinical psych in the future, i took literature. best decision ever, its my therapy subject haha. good luck with your decision!

Great thanks so much !!

Quick Reply

Latest