The Student Room Group

Best advice to switch careers and join FCDO (mid-senior professional)

Hello,

I am in my mid-thirties and very serious about finally realigning my career with my interests (international development and cooperation) and values.

I 've spent my career (10 years) so far in the private sector only, where I held senior leadership and project/programme management roles before finally taking a long career break over a year ago.

I've applied for the Fast Stream Diplomatic & Development scheme but ultimately 'only' got offered a place on my second choice (DDaT) to start this coming Sept. This was my first ever application to the Civil Service and I will definitely try again next year as I think I can improve based on the feedback provided.

I am looking for your thoughts and advice on the best course of action to take in the meantime.
1) Is it worth joining the DDaT scheme? Would working for the Civil Service give me any advantage whatsoever when it comes down to applying for FCDO roles?
2) Would it be better to attempt to secure a more senior (what level do you think is realistic?) role in other CS departments, for instance based on my project management skillset (I am PRINCE2 qualified)?
3) What other entry routes to FCDO can you recommend? As far as I can see direct entry roles are very rare...

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice!
I'd recommend looking at more senior roles directly with a different government department before looking at FCDO. Look for programme jobs at Grade 7+ with the level of experience you have (I assume you would be taking a huge pay cut for fast stream?). Programme management is a highly sought after skill in CS and a good route in.

It is much much easier to shift to FCDO inside govt (though does depend on timings). There are very rarely direct FCDO appointments and most that do come up usually require relevant experience.
Reply 2
Original post by Chrissy.98
I'd recommend looking at more senior roles directly with a different government department before looking at FCDO. Look for programme jobs at Grade 7+ with the level of experience you have (I assume you would be taking a huge pay cut for fast stream?). Programme management is a highly sought after skill in CS and a good route in.

It is much much easier to shift to FCDO inside govt (though does depend on timings). There are very rarely direct FCDO appointments and most that do come up usually require relevant experience.

Thank you so much - this is really helpful and very sensible advice! I'll definitely start looking (and applying for) at project/programme manager roles across CS, regardless of the department. In joining Fast Stream, I would indeed be taking a huge hit in terms of salary and seniority. It would only really make sense if it gave me access to lots of extra, internal only roles without any restrictions.

In terms of switching between departments once you're in: do you know what (if any) restrictions are in place? For example: are you obliged to stay x amount of months in your initial role or can you only go for roles that are no more than one level up from your current role?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by kat_ness
Thank you so much - this is really helpful and very sensible advice! I'll definitely start looking (and applying for) at project/programme manager roles across CS, regardless of the department. In joining Fast Stream, I would indeed be taking a huge hit in terms of salary and seniority. It would only really make sense if it gave me access to lots of extra, internal only roles without any restrictions.

In terms of switching between departments once you're in: do you know what (if any) restrictions are in place? For example: are you obliged to stay x amount of months in your initial role or can you only go for roles that are no more than one level up from your current role?

No worries. It's worth noting HEOs (FS level) are in big demand right now and pay about £7k p.a. more for doing more or less the same job. If you want to move to FCDO as soon as possible, it might be slightly harder to get off FS (I'm not on it so not sure). There's no difference in terms of applying for internal roles.

It highly depends on the job you move into, regarding internal movement. Every department has its own policy but there's a general expectation of about 1+ years before moving. But again it depends on the job - and working on a time-constrained fixed term programme might make it easier to move. On the other hand, moving into a permanent role externally will open more FCDO role options (on loan). I wouldn't worry too much anyhow and focus on finding something that interests you, and working out a transfer a bit later down the line.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending