The Student Room Group

Is it realistic to do an A level in maths in 1 year?

The reason i ask is because im currently in Y13 applying to university for computer science, however i havent done A-Level maths and so it has created some barriers for me.

Ive been accepted to 2/5 of my applications and im not sure whether i would like to take one of these offers, or take a year out and either Re-Do my GCSE maths as i got a 5 and need at least a 6 for most universities.
My current Predicted grades are: AAB, with an A in computer science.

Realistically, would there be a possibility, if i work hard enough, could i sit an A level maths exam next year? The reason for my low GCSE grade is a little bit complicated, our year was split up into sets, with set 1 being the highest, and set 6 being the lowest i believe. I was top of my class in set 2 but moved up to set 1 where i was 5 months behind on content and never caught up.
If youre aiming to get an a level maths, probably best to aim to try and cover the gcse topics over the summer to resit in November, and concentrate on the a level from Sep onwards and sit in June. Its certainly possible to cover the syllabus in 1 year (some schools do maths in y12 and further maths in y13), though obviously your gcse marks mean there are a few warning flags in your case
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
If youre aiming to get an a level maths, probably best to aim to try and cover the gcse topics over the summer to resit in November, and concentrate on the a level from Sep onwards and sit in June. Its certainly possible to cover the syllabus in 1 year (some schools do maths in y12 and further maths in y13), though obviously your gcse marks mean there are a few warning flags in your case

Thanks for the advice! That would be the plan yeah, ive seen that some colleges have "Accelerated maths" where its covered in a year, and i think since i wouldnt have 2 other A levels to worry about because id have already done the 3 im doing, id be able to focus more time on those studies.

Im trying to do as much research as possible and speak to people for advice etc. Also going to talk with my colleges careers department etc.

Quick Reply

Latest