The Student Room Group

is it best to split Macbeth quote into themes or chracters

I have my English gcse in may, i would like to know which is the best method in arranging quotes
Reply 1
Original post by Kate190
I have my English gcse in may, i would like to know which is the best method in arranging quotes

I would say to be safe, do both. I like to have about 5-ish quotes per character, and then again 5-ish for the major themes: when I say major, I mean the ones that are really prevalent, like Appearance vs Reality, Gender, the Supernatural, and Divine Right of Kings. It feels like a lot but the problem is is that the examiners often find a way to surprise you with their questions. In covering major themes and characters (only do main characters though, exclude minor ones like Fleance, Siward, Malcolm, etcetera haha) you get a wide range of quotes that, importantly, you can apply to a wide range of questions - and it lets you respond quicker to a question - if you get a question, for example, about the Divine Right of Kings, it's going to take you a while to go through all your characters to find quotes you can use: if you have already revised specifically for that theme, it saves you a tonne of time (and stress). Hopefully that makes sense, everyone's different, but those are my recommendations, and what I would say is safest to do.
Hope that helps! Good luck with your exams :smile:

P.S. if you're ever struggling to find quotes and need some speedy ones, feel free to post another message here, or DM me, because it can be a pain.
Reply 3
Original post by {Moss}
I would say to be safe, do both. I like to have about 5-ish quotes per character, and then again 5-ish for the major themes: when I say major, I mean the ones that are really prevalent, like Appearance vs Reality, Gender, the Supernatural, and Divine Right of Kings. It feels like a lot but the problem is is that the examiners often find a way to surprise you with their questions. In covering major themes and characters (only do main characters though, exclude minor ones like Fleance, Siward, Malcolm, etcetera haha) you get a wide range of quotes that, importantly, you can apply to a wide range of questions - and it lets you respond quicker to a question - if you get a question, for example, about the Divine Right of Kings, it's going to take you a while to go through all your characters to find quotes you can use: if you have already revised specifically for that theme, it saves you a tonne of time (and stress). Hopefully that makes sense, everyone's different, but those are my recommendations, and what I would say is safest to do.
Hope that helps! Good luck with your exams :smile:

P.S. if you're ever struggling to find quotes and need some speedy ones, feel free to post another message here, or DM me, because it can be a pain.

Thank you ,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending