The Student Room Group

English Language Paper 2 Question 2

Poll

English Language Paper 2 Question 2

How many marks will I get for this.Use details from both sources. Write a summary of the differences between Eddie and Henry .Source A and B are extremely juxtaposed, in the matter of the way both Edddie and Henry speak to their fathers. Eddie has a tight-knit, humorous relationship with his father as he says in a disparaging, comical tone: “You can’t think of one, can you?”. This reflects their close and informal relationship which is acknowledged by his own father when he says whilst referring to his son, “remorselessly take the mickey out of you”.This phrase especially highlights their bond as most people (like Henry) almost fear to speak to their father in such a tone. Henry, however, contrasts Eddie and his fathers relationship as Henry speaks in a more emotional and formal tone whilst speaking to his father. For example, referring to him as: “My dear father”. This repeated phrase evidently accentuates the formal relationship he has with his father as he does not let go of the phrase when referring to him. This emphasizes the boundaries that he and his father have. The emotional side is portrayed by the emotive adjective he uses to describe his father and himself like ‘respectful’ and ‘dear’ to coax his father. Eddie has a boundless relationship when it comes to speaking to his father whereas Henry clearly has a restricted relationship with his father, which is demonstrated when he writes to him.In addition Henry and Edddie are differentiated when it comes to academics, this is presented by their academic recognition founded by their fathers. For instance the way Eddie's dad speaks about his son's results: “He got 20 out of 25, or 80% a low score for him.”. Eddie's father displays Eddie as a smart child and recognises his son's intelligence, narrating Eddie’s intellect. He then begins to degrade himself consequently exaggerating and reinforcing Eddie's smart character ( Me? I’ve got 12 out of 25 or less than 50%). In contrast, Henry’s father recognises Henry's academic spelling errors (“Henry’s letter, I see several words wrong spelt”) portraying Eddie as someone with a lack of intelligence. He does this by comparing how he was like in the past (“They could both spell”) which makes the matter even worse. Henry’s father proposes Henry as someone who is vacuous whereas Eddie's father presents him as someone who is academically adept.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending