The Student Room Group

MAT prep material

Hi, I'm in y12 preparing for the Oxford MAT, can anyone suggest books or websites that I can use to prepare? I've done the past papers but I feel like I need a lot more practice. Thanks in advance:smile:
Original post by canwine45
Hi, I'm in y12 preparing for the Oxford MAT, can anyone suggest books or websites that I can use to prepare? I've done the past papers but I feel like I need a lot more practice. Thanks in advance:smile:

SMC questions for multiple choice.

BMO may be a bit useful but... not that useful
Original post by canwine45

Mat is in Oct so Id have kept a few of the recent papers until closer to the date. Similarly, if youve done "all" the past papers you must have a good idea of what problems youre having / what type of extra practice would benefit you. So is it algebra, geometry, sketching, problem solving, ....? There are some suggestions for further resources on
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/admissions-tests/mat
and a few additional remarks
* past papers are the main resource
* be clear about the mat syllabus and watch the livestreams and associated worksheets
* amsp run a mat course (similar to livestream) and do an introductory mat/step/tmua book, drfrost has some slides for mat/step/ukmt
* step 1 and the step foundation modules are probably closest to mat
* tmua paper 1 is reasonably close to the multiple choice part of mat & AEA maths papers may be worth looking at
* ukmt smc (multiple choice) and bmo1 may be worth looking at. However, theyre not a level syllabus (no calculus, little trig etc). The pros are that theyre good algebra/geometry/proof... practice and should develop your problem solving skills.
Original post by mqb2766
Mat is in Oct so Id have kept a few of the recent papers until closer to the date. Similarly, if youve done "all" the past papers you must have a good idea of what problems youre having / what type of extra practice would benefit you. So is it algebra, geometry, sketching, problem solving, ....? There are some suggestions for further resources on
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/admissions-tests/mat
and a few additional remarks
* past papers are the main resource
* be clear about the mat syllabus and watch the livestreams and associated worksheets
* amsp run a mat course (similar to livestream) and do an introductory mat/step/tmua book, drfrost has some slides for mat/step/ukmt
* step 1 and the step foundation modules are probably closest to mat
* tmua paper 1 is reasonably close to the multiple choice part of mat & AEA maths papers may be worth looking at
* ukmt smc (multiple choice) and bmo1 may be worth looking at. However, theyre not a level syllabus (no calculus, little trig etc). The pros are that theyre good algebra/geometry/proof... practice and should develop your problem solving skills.

Succinct, and more comprehensive than I could've described it.

Quick Reply

Latest