The Student Room Group

Does It Matter What Grade You Receive In Mental Health Nursing?

I’m on track for a third or at most a 2:2 in Mental health Nursing which I’m disappointed about :frown:.
I thrive in all my placements and never failed 1. I just really struggle in the academic side of things.
Can anyone give me any hope ?

Thank you
Original post by Samedwards2000
I’m on track for a third or at most a 2:2 in Mental health Nursing which I’m disappointed about :frown:.
I thrive in all my placements and never failed 1. I just really struggle in the academic side of things.
Can anyone give me any hope ?

Thank you

No, it doesn't matter what grade you get in your nursing degree. You're on track to pass - which is what you need in order to get your NMC registration and therefore a job!

When I applied, and interviewed, for my band 5 job, I was a 3rd year student at the time. I interviewed in the February, qualified in the September, started my job in the October.
Did the person specification state a certain grade in nursing degree as essential? No. There's a lot of nurses out there who started their nurse training before degree level education became mandatory/the only way of becoming a registered nurse.
Did I get asked at any point what grade I was on track/aiming for? No. 3.5 years later, this still doesn't get asked.
The stipulations of me starting my band 5 job were 1) I got my NMC registration, which was dependent on me passing my degree (HR wanted to see it) 2) my DBS was fine 3) I passed occupational health checks.
How often do I get asked what grade I got? I don't. At the time, family and coursemates asked. My colleagues and patients don't because it genuinely doesn't matter.

Both my husband and brother-in-law are nurses. In 10 years since they both qualified, they've each had a few different jobs and have never been asked what grade they got.
The things that people are worried about is whether the 3 of us are on the NMC register and we maintain our registrations, and whether or not we are competent at our jobs (which sometimes requires engaging with extra training - but then nursing involves continuous learning).
Just to add to Emily’s excellent post above, my marks during my pre reg were all poor (could have applied myself much better on reflection, but meh), this hasn’t been a hindrance to my career. I’ve been able to undertake post-reg study and didn’t have any barriers accessing this - I’m currently in my final year of a pt masters now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending