The Student Room Group

Quick question PLS

Hey, for psychology aqa a level, can I write in bullet points? Up to what number of marks for the question can I write in bullet points? 6 marks? 12? Definitely not 18. I'm autistic and have ADHD so the more I can bullet point the happier I am!
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hey, for psychology aqa a level, can I write in bullet points? Up to what number of marks for the question can I write in bullet points? 6 marks? 12? Definitely not 18. I'm autistic and have ADHD so the more I can bullet point the happier I am!

Hiiiii!
Follow the rubric (the set of instructions) in the question, and do what it says. Always. Every single word in an exam paper is there for a good reason, so read every word of it, carefully, and do exactly what it says.

If it asks you for a piece of continuous writing, then bullet points will cost you marks. But if they ask you to “list five factors in…” or “give three reasons for…”, then bullet points will be fine. Knowing your subject matter is only about half the battle; knowing how to answer in ways that earn the most marks is the other half, so you are absolutely right to check this.

If they expect bullet points or just a list, then answering more fully will cost you time, without earning you any extra marks. But if they want something fuller and more developed, then bullet points (however correct) will only earn you one mark each, instead of the two or three there might have been.

Read the exam paper, and see how many marks the question is worth. If they ask for five points, and it says “(5)” in the margin, then five brief points are all they want!

Look, I took Biology Edexcel A level, & I wrote in bullet points except in QWC questions, which were worth 5-10 marks. I got my marks just fine

I hope this is helpful. :wink:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mxrixm_Osxmx
Hiiiii!
Follow the rubric (the set of instructions) in the question, and do what it says. Always. Every single word in an exam paper is there for a good reason, so read every word of it, carefully, and do exactly what it says.

If it asks you for a piece of continuous writing, then bullet points will cost you marks. But if they ask you to “list five factors in…” or “give three reasons for…”, then bullet points will be fine. Knowing your subject matter is only about half the battle; knowing how to answer in ways that earn the most marks is the other half, so you are absolutely right to check this.

If they expect bullet points or just a list, then answering more fully will cost you time, without earning you any extra marks. But if they want something fuller and more developed, then bullet points (however correct) will only earn you one mark each, instead of the two or three there might have been.

Read the exam paper, and see how many marks the question is worth. If they ask for five points, and it says “(5)” in the margin, then five brief points are all they want!

Look, I took Biology Edexcel A level, & I wrote in bullet points except in QWC questions, which were worth 5-10 marks. I got my marks just fine

I hope this is helpful. :wink:

thanks! I also took edexcel bio and did that, so it's good to know I can apply the same thing to psych

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending