The Student Room Group

Scotland- Numeracy

I am hoping to start nursing at uni this year and noticed yearly drug/numeracy tests.

To say I am nervous would be an understatement! Are calculators allowed in these assessments and what should I be brushing up on prior to starting uni in terms of maths?
Thanks.
Original post by BJM1985
I am hoping to start nursing at uni this year and noticed yearly drug/numeracy tests.

To say I am nervous would be an understatement! Are calculators allowed in these assessments and what should I be brushing up on prior to starting uni in terms of maths?
Thanks.

You are working with dosage formulas, weights and volume, translating different types of measurements and working out dosage schedules. During the test, calculators are not permitted, so you must rely on yourself to make the accurate calculations. These tests are usually given on paper and you must show your work.

The test you will be doing is basically calculations, multiplying, dividing and adding & subtraction....
You'll be absolutely fine with those. You do math's as part of your assignments and essays and any exams you'll have to sit each year. You should pass those without issues...

Best thing for you to do is make sure that you are watching the qualified nurses doing things and you'll soon learn what is necessary okay.

NHS Scotland registered midwife
Reply 2
Original post by Tracey_W
You are working with dosage formulas, weights and volume, translating different types of measurements and working out dosage schedules. During the test, calculators are not permitted, so you must rely on yourself to make the accurate calculations. These tests are usually given on paper and you must show your work.

The test you will be doing is basically calculations, multiplying, dividing and adding & subtraction....
You'll be absolutely fine with those. You do math's as part of your assignments and essays and any exams you'll have to sit each year. You should pass those without issues...

Best thing for you to do is make sure that you are watching the qualified nurses doing things and you'll soon learn what is necessary okay.

NHS Scotland registered midwife

Thanks. I think coming in as a ''mature'' student, having left school many years ago, the thought of doing mental maths is daunting as the calculator is used when required. So the thought of sitting with a paper/screen with maths questions is new.
Original post by BJM1985
Thanks. I think coming in as a ''mature'' student, having left school many years ago, the thought of doing mental maths is daunting as the calculator is used when required. So the thought of sitting with a paper/screen with maths questions is new.

Don't be panicking about the maths test as you'll be fine with it.

Every student has to do it those days now regardless of your education status as they just making sure that you are capable of doing basic maths things.

You'll have to do some maths usually as part of any exams you do throughout your three years.

It either be a paper test you'll have to do or otherwise it is PC. Each university has there own way of doing things okay.
Ours is completely different to what is described above. We use a system called Safemedicate which is online and yes calculators are allowed
Reply 5
Original post by Verystormy
Ours is completely different to what is described above. We use a system called Safemedicate which is online and yes calculators are allowed

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending