The Student Room Group

What universities should I accept offers from?

So I've recently gotten offers back from all 5 of the universities I applied to through UCAS, and the deadline for accepting the offers is coming up but I still haven't decided which 2 to accept :,)
I have offers from:
- Durham
- Manchester
- York
- Warwick
- Reading

If it helps I'm applying to Biological Sciences / Ecology

I've gone and visited all of these places except Warwick and I quite like the environment / surroundings for all of them, which ironically makes it even harder to decide...

Are there any other criteria to look into, and where should I start?

Thank you! :h:
(edited 1 year ago)
When I decided on which uni I'm going to I just thought about what my goals are for the future. For example, I want to do research as a job and Edinburgh uni is the most research orientated of all of my applications so that was how I chose. If you're thinking about a lab/research career too then I would pick York and Durham as they seem to rank higher in the research ranking tables. Warwick is also pretty good in this area too. However, if you don't really want a lab job and would prefer to go into something like teaching, I'd pick Manchester or Reading as they're less esteemed for research than the other 3.

I hope this makes sense or helps even a little bit. :smile:
Original post by SweetPotat0_852
So I've recently gotten offers back from all 5 of the universities I applied to through UCAS, and the deadline for accepting the offers is coming up but I still haven't decided which 2 to accept :,)
I have offers from:
- Durham
- Manchester
- York
- Warwick
- Reading

If it helps I'm applying to Biological Sciences / Ecology

I've gone and visited all of these places except Warwick and I quite like the environment / surroundings for all of them, which ironically makes it even harder to decide...

Are there any other criteria to look into, and where should I start?

Thank you! :h:

Hi there

Deciding which uni to firm and insure isn't easy but I would highly recommend making a pros and cons list. When I was deciding which uni I wanted to go to I made a list of all the factors that were important to me such as distance from home, student ratings, transport links e.g. nearest train station, facilities, career prospects, social life etc. I also read through both course structures in detail to see which one interested me the most. Make sure to also look around the city/town as it is likely that you will live there in your second and third year so you want to make sure its easily accessibly to where your lectures will be held. Good luck with your decision!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep
Have you looked really carefully through the course modules of each uni? You may find that some are more appealing than others.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Have you looked really carefully through the course modules of each uni? You may find that some are more appealing than others.

Yeah I've read about all of the course content for each uni a couple times and they all sound pretty good:,)
Original post by University of Kent Reps
Hi there

Deciding which uni to firm and insure isn't easy but I would highly recommend making a pros and cons list. When I was deciding which uni I wanted to go to I made a list of all the factors that were important to me such as distance from home, student ratings, transport links e.g. nearest train station, facilities, career prospects, social life etc. I also read through both course structures in detail to see which one interested me the most. Make sure to also look around the city/town as it is likely that you will live there in your second and third year so you want to make sure its easily accessibly to where your lectures will be held. Good luck with your decision!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

This is really helpful, thank you so much!!
Reply 6
Have you made your decision yet? I was stuck between two for my firm choice last year, and the pros and cons list definitely helped, but I found that although one uni sounded great on paper, I just had a feeling that I would feel more comfortable at the other and settle in more easily - I felt more excited about that uni and it didn't feel as daunting (it depends on what aspects are most important to you)!

I don't study ecology, but am part of the Biology department at York, and it's great - the department is very supportive and has some lovely study spaces! : )
Reply 7
Hope you chose the uni you wanted. Youngest was stuck between three, as all was good on paper and prospects, but when it came down to it, she felt two of them she felt more at home when visiting there and seemed more at ease and comfortable. Thats how she chose Reading and Chester for zoology/animal behaviour. Both felt safe, both felt like they had a sense of community, and both felt like home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending