The Student Room Group

Surrey Management vs UEA HRM

I have received the offers from these uni, but I don't know how to choose, considering the professional reputation, rent, transport, dorm, surrounding facilities and environment
Original post by Ryanzhang
I have received the offers from these uni, but I don't know how to choose, considering the professional reputation, rent, transport, dorm, surrounding facilities and environment

Hi there @Ryanzhang :smile:

Both Surrey and UEA are both great Unis and have good reputations within the industry so I can understand why it might be difficult choosing which one to go for! All of those points that you've mentioned are important when making your decision, however I'd recommend deciding out of them what's most important to you. For some people distance isn’t a problem whereas others like to be closer to home; others prefer to be at a Uni with state of the art sports facilities (ps. the UEA Sportspark has an Olympic size pool and a climbing wall!). Additionally, have a closer look at the modules that each course offers. You're thinking about Management at Surrey, do they offer enough modules that interest you? And does HRM at UEA give you enough flexibility and scope for interests outside of HR?

From my experience with the Norwich Business School at UEA, as I studied BSc Marketing and Management at Undergrad, there's so much flexibility when it came to module selecting. You can even study a language or media modules! I also really enjoyed how practical the coursework was and the employability support given from the school. UEA was also voted as the number one Uni with the best job prospectus (Student Crowd) and consistently ranks as a Top 30 UK University (The Complete University Guide).

Hope this helps :smile:
Isabella (MSc Brand Leadership)
Hello!

That's great to hear you're considering Surrey Uni for HRM :smile: I've been at Surrey for the past 4 years and have loved it so much.

In terms of professional reputation, our uni is known for having excellent teaching and research standards. Our graduates are highly sought after by employers, and we have a strong track record of producing successful alumni.

I'd say the rent in Guildford is quite pricey, given our proximity to London. However, there is a range of options, both on campus and off. So, on campus, we have bands A to F (with band A being the cheapest). You can see the options here: https://www.surrey.ac.uk/accommodation/our-accommodation.
I live in a student house with 3 others, which is nice for communal spaces. My rent has ranged from £475 to £600 (all double beds) in different houses without bills. Bills are quite high everywhere at the moment! We have a great money team to make it accessible though, including a dedicated Cost of Living Hub for students: https://money.surrey.ac.uk.

Our transport is great. We have a 34-minute train into London Waterloo. There are lots of surrounding towns to visit too. We have a campus bus, which regularly runs, even in the evening. It's also easy to get around by bus, car and foot :smile:

As previously mentioned, we have a variety of dorm options. You can choose to have an ensuite, shared bathroom, etc., depending on personal preference and budget. We have 24/7 security and a residential life team to help with communal living: https://accommodation.surrey.ac.uk/living-halls-residence/residential-life-team.

As for surrounding facilities, Guildford is a beautiful town with lots of shops, restaurants and walks. Our campus has sports and recreational facilities and a gorgeous lake. In the summer, it's perfect for BBQs and picnics! I personally love the campus environment, and it helps to build a sense of community.

Ultimately, the decision is yours and depends on your personal preferences, but I hope this information helps you make the decision. I would encourage you to visit both universities, talk to current students and staff, and explore the local area to get a sense of which one feels like the best fit for you :smile:

Best of luck with your decision and future studies! Let me know if I can help with anything.

Thanks,
Sam (she/her)
MSc Psychology Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending