The Student Room Group

Notes

Okay so I'm in y10 rn and everyone in my year Is making notes for every single subject so it'll help them in y11 later.
However I haven't started making them and I don't feel like I should either because I think there a waste of time.

I already have pretty good notes in my book and I have CGP textbooks that have the content I need to know. So I feel like insted of making notes and summery flashcards I should just write out question flashcards and go over what I've learnt. My predicted grades are all 7s and 8s I've gotten one 9 so I think not making notes is helping.

Any y11s made notes but not use them and do you think making notes will help me later?
i mean somethings dont work for others, if youre getting the grades you want with the what youre doing, there no need to change, just be consistent.
Plus flashcards if utilised properly e.g. spaced repetition or just repetition in general is much more effective then making notes and never reading them again
I'm y11 right now, and all I can say is make sure you know how to revise.

im a little over 20 days away from my first actual GCSE (spanish aural) and I've done absolutely nothing for it, because i dont know how to revise + 0 motivation or determination. its not because i dont have notes, though, and if im honest ive used about 10 percent of all the stuff ive written in my textbooks when i have done any revision. personally I don't feel that notes are as essential to have but instead just have a consistent method of revising, because you can have all the notes in the world and not utilise them due to having no clue on how to use them effectively.

especially if you're happy with how youre doing now and are getting good grades, it may not be worth changing how you work
Original post by isuckatrevising

im a little over 20 days away from my first actual GCSE (spanish aural) and I've done absolutely nothing for it, because i dont know how to revise + 0 motivation or determination. its not because i dont have notes, though, and if im honest ive used about 10 percent of all the stuff ive written in my textbooks when i have done any revision. personally I don't feel that notes are as essential to have but instead just have a consistent method of revising, because you can have all the notes in the world and not utilise them due to having no clue on how to use them effectively.

especially if you're happy with how youre doing now and are getting good grades, it may not be worth changing how you work

Tip for your oral exam, i didnt revise for mine until a week before, just make preprepared answers to everything hitting all/most the marking objectives e.g. use complex sentances, add one or two adjectives and use flashcards and do them every day for 10 to 20 minutes each day until your exam and youll have an answer for everything and know what to say, i can still answer one of the questions 2 years after its like muscle memory

mi favourito assignaturas es las sciencias ya que es muy interesante y facinante, and i hate spanish cause i am so bad at it
Original post by bigplongus
i mean somethings dont work for others, if youre getting the grades you want with the what youre doing, there no need to change, just be consistent.
Plus flashcards if utilised properly e.g. spaced repetition or just repetition in general is much more effective then making notes and never reading them again

yep that's what I was thinking because i tried making notes but i havent even looked back at them once so i feel like continuing is just a little silly if its not doing anything yk.
Original post by isuckatrevising

Yhh igy like i dont 100% know how to revise like sometimes i just sit there and rn im finding the stuff fairly easy but i know for sure that its gonna get so much harder so i feel like i just need to be prepared for that.
Yh and about the grades like i used to spend soo much time making notes insted of revising even just for termly exams and i used to do so much worse like 3s and 4s in most subjects but now that ive stopped i think it helps because i would spend too long trying to make them look nice and "aesthetic" yk

Goodluck for your spanish! xx
Original post by doughnutsareslay
Yhh igy like i dont 100% know how to revise like sometimes i just sit there and rn im finding the stuff fairly easy but i know for sure that its gonna get so much harder so i feel like i just need to be prepared for that.
Yh and about the grades like i used to spend soo much time making notes insted of revising even just for termly exams and i used to do so much worse like 3s and 4s in most subjects but now that ive stopped i think it helps because i would spend too long trying to make them look nice and "aesthetic" yk

Goodluck for your spanish! xx

yh thats the thing youll find that the people making the notes put more time into making the notes then putting info into their heads

what works for me in writing out the specification objectives for the topic (in A-level but would work for GCSE even though just CGP rev guides are fine) im doing then using a variety of sources to learn the information then doing exam questions, it keep my brain active as im not mindlessly copying down notes and i actually use the information, that is a way of writing notes and it being helpful, it doesnt work for everyone, if youve made such an improvement, first well done for doing it on your own and recognising your mistakes then working on then and two well done from breaking away from the popular thing to do in regards to revision.

Quick Reply

Latest