The Student Room Group

How do I get the most out of in-person lectures?

I am a 3rd year undergrad, and I still haven't mastered the very technical art of note taking. I attend all my lectures, like I haven't missed any! However, I often find I will miss a bit of information, so I rewatch the entire lecture recording, and make more in depth notes then, so I never look at the notes I took in my live lecture again! I'm know I am wasting valuable time doing this, but I don't want to not attend lectures. What are other people's methods, to take valuable notes in lectures, including any preparation work I may need to do?
Original post by Biosci_JAE
I am a 3rd year undergrad, and I still haven't mastered the very technical art of note taking. I attend all my lectures, like I haven't missed any! However, I often find I will miss a bit of information, so I rewatch the entire lecture recording, and make more in depth notes then, so I never look at the notes I took in my live lecture again! I'm know I am wasting valuable time doing this, but I don't want to not attend lectures. What are other people's methods, to take valuable notes in lectures, including any preparation work I may need to do?

I have tried a few different methods. I think it is almost impossible to take good notes and fully listen to the lecture. What you are doing is good as long as you have time to attend both the lectures and then listen to the recordings. I have been advised by some tutors not to take any notes in lectures and just to listen and fully understand what is being taught - because understanding the content will really help with learning. I have found that is really effective as long as I have time to make notes before or after the lecture.
With the lecture recordings I tend to make question and answer flashcards rather than notes, so then I can start learning the content straight away without spending more time making notes. Although the effectiveness of this will vary based on the course and style of the examinations.
I hope this helps!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

Hey,

I definitely understand the struggle of this and it took me a long time to get a good routine down! I found the best way that worked for me was to print/save the lecture slides beforehand, so the only notes I had to take was what was being said! If I ever missed anything, I would add a little note to self to go back to that slide later (and a rough time stamp), then I didn't have to go over the whole lecture again!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
I have tried a few different methods. I think it is almost impossible to take good notes and fully listen to the lecture. What you are doing is good as long as you have time to attend both the lectures and then listen to the recordings. I have been advised by some tutors not to take any notes in lectures and just to listen and fully understand what is being taught - because understanding the content will really help with learning. I have found that is really effective as long as I have time to make notes before or after the lecture.
With the lecture recordings I tend to make question and answer flashcards rather than notes, so then I can start learning the content straight away without spending more time making notes. Although the effectiveness of this will vary based on the course and style of the examinations.
I hope this helps!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)

I will definitely try this in my next lectures! Thank you for the tips!
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

I definitely understand the struggle of this and it took me a long time to get a good routine down! I found the best way that worked for me was to print/save the lecture slides beforehand, so the only notes I had to take was what was being said! If I ever missed anything, I would add a little note to self to go back to that slide later (and a rough time stamp), then I didn't have to go over the whole lecture again!

Best of luck with everything!!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep (2nd year PhD Psychology)

This is really great idea! Thank you!
Do not copy the slides. I sit in lectures watching everyone typing it all out. What a waste of time, you should be noting whatever isn't on the slides and perhaps expand what has very little info on the slides too, such as a concept or whatever.

I find modules which are 100% exams more critical when it comes to note taking, especially when you are told you will have 1 of 4 questions to answer on the whole module. Spending three hours on an exam with only the slides will not give you enough to answer them, extra reading is essential.
(edited 6 months ago)

Hi @Biosci_JAE,

For me I find the best way to take notes is based off what they say that isn't mentioned on the slides as that is much more valuable.
Some other things I will note down are any key definitions or concepts that are important for that module and then finally if my lecturer mentions anything that will assist within an assignment. I then make an assignment help word document with any points that have been discussed which can then be used when I actually start it.

I found in my first year I would write down all the notes from the slide however then realise I didn't actually understand it which meant I was then doing double the work. By having to either do further reading or listen to the lecture again. I would recommend either printing off the notes as someone else has already said and adding to them based off the extra points your lecturer says. This means you can make sure you understand what is being said and can ask any questions in real time. But also take back that time you have previously lost to making new notes.

This advice may not work if you have exams and wish to have all notes together, however I did find that usually once I've wrote the notes I won't read through them again unless I am looking for specific definitions, concepts or tips for my assignment. Instead I would go on Blackboard (the system Edge Hill use's) and access the PowerPoints through that instead.

Hope some of that information may have helped, good luck on your note taking! :smile:

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Hi @Biosci_JAE

What a great question! I think it can be very easy to get sort of lost in lectures and not wanting to get involved as much, especially after you’ve been going to them for so long. To keep enthusiasm up about your lectures, here are some ways you can be prepared for learning and being more efficient in your note-taking :smile:

1. Come prepared: Review the relevant material or readings before attending the lecture. Familiarize yourself with the subject matter to better understand the content being presented.

2. Actively listen and take notes: Pay close attention to the lecturer's explanations, examples, and key points. Take detailed notes to help you remember important information and concepts.

3. Engage in class discussions: Participate actively in class discussions, ask questions, and seek clarification when needed. Engaging with the material and your peers can deepen your understanding and provide different perspectives.

4. Use visual aids: If the lecturer uses visual aids like slides or diagrams, pay attention to them. Visuals can enhance comprehension and help you retain information more effectively.

5. Review and reinforce: After the lecture, take time to review your notes and reinforce your understanding of the topic. Consolidate your learning by summarizing key points or discussing the material with classmates.

6. Seek clarification: If you have any doubts or need further clarification, don't hesitate to reach out to your instructor or classmates. Understanding the content fully is crucial for maximizing your learning.

Remember, actively engaging with the material, taking notes, and participating in discussions will help you make the most of your in-person lectures and enhance your overall learning experience.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

@Biosci_JAE

It's not about perfect notetaking it's about what helps you in the long run. So if you have a copy of the slides for the lecture, then you can read ahead and make a note of anything that you are confused about or have questions about. You can then try and find out the answers to your questions/ try and clear up your confusion by doing a quick search online or by going to the library.

During the lecture, you can then add any new information that your lecturer says to your notes and you can pay extra attention to those areas that you were unsure about or where you still have questions.

Asking questions and then making notes on the answers will also help. It's also useful to listen to other people's questions and to make notes on the answers given to them, as they might ask things that you might not have thought about, or later on you might have the same question.

It is useful to recap notes from a lecture, but if you don't have time then move on to any assignment that needs to be done/read ahead for your next lecture. Recapping is basically revising and though it's good to try and revise as you go, you might not be able to do this everyday. You might have to leave revision for a specific time each week or block out some time during reading week or the holidays. You can then use your notes and the slides to make revision cards, posters or tables that you can then refer to, with the recordings as back up or as a way of revising the material.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending