The Student Room Group

i cannot revise to the point where i think there's something wrong with me

i dont know whether its just me being lazy because that's what my mum says, but i just can't revise at all. I'll sit down to work and just start spinning in my chair or playing with my pen, regardless of whether there are any distractions in the room or not. sometimes ill end up just lying on the floor doing nothing to avoid revising. i even have gcse geography posters everywhere but i dont feel the benefit from them at all. flashcards, pomodoro and all those things may work for some but they just dont do it for me, and even if it did work i wouldnt feel like doing any of it. and the fact that theres so much content that its overwhelming, and breaking it down into chunks just makes it feel like im not progressing.

id say the most ive ever revised in one sitting would be 45 minutes back in year 6 when i had to do verbal and non verbal reasoning, and since then -even though my first gcse's in 23 days - i havent had enough discipline or motivation to do any work. are there any last minute things i can try to do?

p.s. my grades so far range from 3 3s to 3 9s, and a few 5s and a 6/7. one of the 3s is maths, so i definitely need to do something about that if i find the willpower !
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by isuckatrevising
i dont know whether its just me being lazy because that's what my mum says, but i just can't revise at all. I'll sit down to work and just start spinning in my chair or playing with my pen, regardless of whether there are any distractions in the room or not. sometimes ill end up just lying on the floor doing nothing to avoid revising. i even have gcse geography posters everywhere but i dont feel the benefit from them at all. flashcards, pomodoro and all those things may work for some but they just dont do it for me, and even if it did work i wouldnt feel like doing any of it. and the fact that theres so much content that its overwhelming, and breaking it down into chunks just makes it feel like im not progressing.

id say the most ive ever revised in one sitting would be 45 minutes back in year 6 when i had to do verbal and non verbal reasoning, and since then -even though my first gcse's in 23 days - i havent had enough discipline or motivation to do any work. are there any last minute things i can try to do?

p.s. my grades so far range from 3 3s to 3 9s, and a few 5s and a 6/7. one of the 3s is maths, so i definitely need to do something about that if i find the willpower !

i honestly think you need to find motivation from yourself if you've tried all of that. Just think coming out on results day everyone else with their high grades or grades they expected and you with the lower grades. it is very overwhelming as a gcse student myself but taking it bit by bit really does help and if you don't try as hard as you can now your results will reflect that. maybe a change of scenary from your room maybe a cafe or the library as i find myself getting work done more as i'm surrounded by people so cant really sit there and do nothing

I have definitely related to this at times, and when it happens I think it’s really important not to force loads of information on your brain. If it’s being resistant to revision, explore why that might be and what you can do to slowly help.

I’ve found Seneca Learning really helpful for revision on days when it seems super difficult because it doesn’t just throw all the information at you and mixes in reading and answering questions, but I know it’s not for everyone.

I think it’s also really important not to put pressure on yourself when you sit down to revise: tell yourself that even if you just do it for 5 minutes, it will make a difference (because it will).
Your revision schedule will be different from other people’s but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong or that you’re lazy. Even if that means spending 5 minutes at a time in different places.
First of all I don't think this is you being lazy but a mixture of a lot of other things which are subconsciously playing in your mind regardless of whether you know or you don't. The first thing you could do is question yourself whether you know how to revise? Some people do revise differently so perhaps flashcards and posters are not your thing, maybe try and talk about each topic to someone a family or a friend and just freely talking about the topic will help you realise how much you know about the topic, also there's two apps that were very handy for me one's called knowunity and the other's called studysmarter check these out they have great content and simplified notes. Additionally, you might also feel intimidated by the size of the task and amount of workload, so your mind will be wondering whether it's even worth it to start revising, I completely understand how you feel, but don't blame yourself for it, putting in the most effort you can to your best standards is way better than not giving it a try as you won't have any regrets in the future. You definitely could try a different setting to refresh your mind. When it comes to revision it's also very hard to discipline one's self so the tip is to reward yourself! Set a target for at least one topic a day for a subject and keep in mind a reward for yourself after achieving that revision target. I hope this helps x
Original post by faheemakhanom
First of all I don't think this is you being lazy but a mixture of a lot of other things which are subconsciously playing in your mind regardless of whether you know or you don't. The first thing you could do is question yourself whether you know how to revise? Some people do revise differently so perhaps flashcards and posters are not your thing, maybe try and talk about each topic to someone a family or a friend and just freely talking about the topic will help you realise how much you know about the topic, also there's two apps that were very handy for me one's called knowunity and the other's called studysmarter check these out they have great content and simplified notes. Additionally, you might also feel intimidated by the size of the task and amount of workload, so your mind will be wondering whether it's even worth it to start revising, I completely understand how you feel, but don't blame yourself for it, putting in the most effort you can to your best standards is way better than not giving it a try as you won't have any regrets in the future. You definitely could try a different setting to refresh your mind. When it comes to revision it's also very hard to discipline one's self so the tip is to reward yourself! Set a target for at least one topic a day for a subject and keep in mind a reward for yourself after achieving that revision target. I hope this helps x

hi, thanks so much for replying with such a good message:smile: i did ask myself about revision, and that's the thing - i don't know how to revise and have it actually stick, so i struggle to sit down and do it when firstly i don't know how: and secondly i feel like it's worthless because i don't have the urge to learn because i know it won't work. i also just haven't had the "oh sh GCSEs are in less than a month" and i just don't feel bothered about them. im bothered about my lack of care for them but that doesn't get me anywhere but feeling bad bc im so unhelpful to myself. ive also tried reward things and ill either just not do anything and forfeit the chance to get the reward or ill more often find a loophole and get the reward early. it's gotten to the point where i pretend to work so my parents are satisfied and arent pressuring me and its so so bad. I can't even express how awful it is that i do it, yet i still do just to be able to spend time doing what i enjoy. my mum especially has been constantly checking to see if im working so when she comes in for example ill have classwork i did a year ago open and say i did that all now, so she says well done and leaves - and then I go back to what i want to do. is it even possible to change this mentality? i really hate how im doing this to myself, but i really can't find the strength to change it. :frown:
hi, thanks so much for replying with such a good message:smile: i did ask myself about revision, and that's the thing - i don't know how to revise and have it actually stick, so i struggle to sit down and do it when firstly i don't know how: and secondly i feel like it's worthless because i don't have the urge to learn because i know it won't work. i also just haven't had the "oh sh GCSEs are in less than a month" and i just don't feel bothered about them. im bothered about my lack of care for them but that doesn't get me anywhere but feeling bad bc im so unhelpful to myself. ive also tried reward things and ill either just not do anything and forfeit the chance to get the reward or ill more often find a loophole and get the reward early. it's gotten to the point where i pretend to work so my parents are satisfied and arent pressuring me and its so so bad. I can't even express how awful it is that i do it, yet i still do just to be able to spend time doing what i enjoy. my mum especially has been constantly checking to see if im working so when she comes in for example ill have classwork i did a year ago open and say i did that all now, so she says well done and leaves - and then I go back to what i want to do. is it even possible to change this mentality? i really hate how im doing this to myself, but i really can't find the strength to change it. :frown:

I have a person who I know is pretty much in the exact same situation as you. The only difference is their parent is very strict on them and sits down with them so they can't avoid skipping doing the actual work so they are lucky in that sense as they don't have a choice but to get revision done. I want to ask do you have any future aspirations like what you want to be or have a career in?

I can relate to this too especially with geography, u need to try to find some motivation for why u want to pass ur GCSEs, think about what u want to do after GCSEs, like college, jobs, 6th form or apprentiships. If u need certain requirements to do what u want to do after GCSEs.
U could also look up videos on BBC bitesize if you dont feel like writing down anything. especially for science. I recommend watching videos for science on https://www.freesciencelessons.co.uk/ they explain things rlly clearly and is good if u dnt feel like doing much
ask your gp to refer you to Pyschiatry UK via right to choose for an adhd assessment :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending