The Student Room Group

Very low on potassium, sodium and electrolytes

I drink plenty of water, don’t drink alcohol, eat relatively ok. I notice I am dehydrated a lot even though I drink alot of water.
What would be causing my electrolytes to be so low?
In hospital I had to be put on a sodium/potassium drip. That was month ago and I again feel weak now, very dehydrated especially through night. I feel they may have dropped again.
would a normal blood test show these results as I have a blood test tomorrow.
Anyone?
I’m not an expert, but outside of a specific health condition (none specifically come to mind) it could be a few things potentially.

What does eating “relatively ok” mean? It’s possible you’re not getting enough from your diet. Sodium and potassium, could simply mean drink more lucozade and eat more bananas.

Maybe you drink too much water, which can lead to tiredness, fatigue etc because you have too much. Water helps to keep everything flowing, and that could be diluting the sodium within your body. Not sure about it’s impact on potassium, but could also be the same.

It’s worth just going over your regular diet) and reviewing the nutrients and vitamins you’re getting in these and see what’s missing and how you can add them in
Original post by souljav
I’m not an expert, but outside of a specific health condition (none specifically come to mind) it could be a few things potentially.

What does eating “relatively ok” mean? It’s possible you’re not getting enough from your diet. Sodium and potassium, could simply mean drink more lucozade and eat more bananas.

Maybe you drink too much water, which can lead to tiredness, fatigue etc because you have too much. Water helps to keep everything flowing, and that could be diluting the sodium within your body. Not sure about it’s impact on potassium, but could also be the same.

It’s worth just going over your regular diet) and reviewing the nutrients and vitamins you’re getting in these and see what’s missing and how you can add them in

Hi thanks for replying, I do eat bananas but also junk foods that I should probably cut down on, im thinking to buy some electrolytes tablets maybe that could help? I do drink alot of milk too which should help electrolytes from what I’ve read… just hope there’s no health condition causing this, I seem to feel really weak , i could eat more vegtables and fruits like apples and pears also

Quick Reply

Latest