The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Returning students in college

Has anyone had experience of applying to return to live in college in second year or final year (or both!)? Do you know when students find out whether they have been lucky enough to be allocated a room? Is there still time to make alternative arrangements if you have been unsuccessful?
Original post by Anonymous
Has anyone had experience of applying to return to live in college in second year or final year (or both!)? Do you know when students find out whether they have been lucky enough to be allocated a room? Is there still time to make alternative arrangements if you have been unsuccessful?

Hey,
For my college people living in college for 2nd/3rd year have already been notified and allocated rooms. Typically colleges are less likely to give you a room in 2nd year unless you have some sort of disability or need to receive additional support. I doubt you could still apply for a room with college. You could try finding a house for next year through 'Overheard at Durham' or 'Durham Uni find a housemate' Facebook pages. Alternatively, you could enquire about single room with Student Castle, Unite Students and other independent accommodation sites in durham
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Hey,
For my college people living in college for 2nd/3rd year have already been notified and allocated rooms. Typically colleges are less likely to give you a room in 2nd year unless you have some sort of disability or need to receive additional support. I doubt you could still apply for a room with college. You could try finding a house for next year through 'Overheard at Durham' or 'Durham Uni find a housemate' Facebook pages. Alternatively, you could enquire about single room with Student Castle, Unite Students and other independent accommodation sites in durham

Thank you; that's really helpful. I'm not at Durham yet, but hope to be there later this year (as long as the A Levels go OK!). I do have a significant medical condition (which requires an en-suite - requested by hospital consultant) but wondered when I would be told that I did or didn't have a room in college in later years. What I was worried about is finding out in August that I didn't have a room and then having to take a year out of my studies due to not having anywhere to live. If 2nd and 3rd years already know, then I guess that means I would have time to try to find alternatives (assuming suitable options would still be available at this time of year).

Either way, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Thank you; that's really helpful. I'm not at Durham yet, but hope to be there later this year (as long as the A Levels go OK!). I do have a significant medical condition (which requires an en-suite - requested by hospital consultant) but wondered when I would be told that I did or didn't have a room in college in later years. What I was worried about is finding out in August that I didn't have a room and then having to take a year out of my studies due to not having anywhere to live. If 2nd and 3rd years already know, then I guess that means I would have time to try to find alternatives (assuming suitable options would still be available at this time of year).

Either way, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Considering you have a medical condition, I think your chances of getting college accom is defo stronger (at least at the college I am, I think everyone who applied for college accom with a verifiable medical condition got college accom).

I understand you are slightly worried about that, but I don't think it should be your focus right now - cause I reckon you will get college accom. All the best for your A-levels!
Thank you so much for your reassurance and good wishes; simple thing like that has really made my day!

Quick Reply

Latest