The Student Room Group

Failed 1st year

Hi
Failed first year at college, failed 3 modules and a report that's 4, we are supposed to have 8 modules done but 2 were postponed and we did just 6 and I basically failed 4 appealed to rewrite the modules failed but wasn't successful. Then decided to do the course again but the college doesn't offer the course for September only the Uni offer the course for September, my college has sent a withdrawal email and as an international student what do I do to remain and continue school even if its repeating the 1st year. Idk if my college can let me start again at the uni instead.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi
Failed first year at college, failed 3 modules and a report that's 4, we are supposed to have 8 modules done but 2 were postponed and we did just 6 and I basically failed 4 appealed to rewrite the modules failed but wasn't successful. Then decided to do the course again but the college doesn't offer the course for September only the Uni offer the course for September, my college has sent a withdrawal email and as an international student what do I do to remain and continue school even if its repeating the 1st year. Idk if my college can let me start again at the uni instead.

What is the relationship between "the college" and "the uni"? What is the course you were studying? Was it a degree-level course?

It sounds like you need to ask whether you can retake first year at the uni, given that the college no longer offer it.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What is the relationship between "the college" and "the uni"? What is the course you were studying? Was it a degree-level course?

It sounds like you need to ask whether you can retake first year at the uni, given that the college no longer offer it.

Hi
the college and the uni are basically the same, just that the college has"international college" before the uni name and it has a different building but both basically offer the same courses.
the college told me I can APPLY to resit the course again at the uni but I thought it just for them to re enroll me again also as an international student I don't know if I need to return back to back to my home country to apply again or they might just enrol me then when my visa is about to expire they would issue another CAS to extend my studies visa.
what should I do, I don't want to return back to my home country and apply again because of the stress and money involved but I want to continue my education even if its resititng
Reply 3

Beng (HONS) Mechanical Enginering
Hi
the college and the uni are basically the same, just that the college has"international college" before the uni name and it has a different building but both basically offer the same courses.
the college told me I can APPLY to resit the course again at the uni but I thought it just for them to re enroll me again also as an international student I don't know if I need to return back to back to my home country to apply again or they might just enrol me then when my visa is about to expire they would issue another CAS to extend my studies visa.
what should I do, I don't want to return back to my home country and apply again because of the stress and money involved but I want to continue my education even if its resititng

It's likely that you're being asked to re-apply because they may have a limited number of spaces and want to ensure they take the best candidates. They will therefore want to compare you to other candidates applying this year.

As for "I don't know if I need to return back to back to my home country to apply again", I suggest you ask them this question. Normally a student visa won't end the moment your course ends (or the moment you've been withdrawn) but has a "grace period" attached to it. (However, I am no expert on student visas.)

Is there no students' union or similar there which you can go to for guidance / assistance?
Reply 5
It's likely that you're being asked to re-apply because they may have a limited number of spaces and want to ensure they take the best candidates. They will therefore want to compare you to other candidates applying this year.

As for "I don't know if I need to return back to back to my home country to apply again", I suggest you ask them this question. Normally a student visa won't end the moment your course ends (or the moment you've been withdrawn) but has a "grace period" attached to it. (However, I am no expert on student visas.)

Is there no students' union or similar there which you can go to for guidance / assistance?

the College doesn't have a student union because its just a small organisation but the Uni has and I've met them and they asked me to reapply.
I just want to know if applying again would cost me going back home or the uni would just offer me the course to repeat.
the College doesn't have a student union because its just a small organisation but the Uni has and I've met them and they asked me to reapply.
I just want to know if applying again would cost me going back home or the uni would just offer me the course to repeat.

OK. So reapply. :smile:

As far as I can make out, you must leave the UK or apply for a new visa within 60 days of your withdrawal date. But, as I said before, this is not an area where I am particularly knowledgeable. There will be people in the university who are. Talk to them. Ask them every question you can think of.

So (a) apply for the new course as soon as you can, and (b) talk to the university about how they'll handle the CAS / visa, and what happens next. Ask them if they can somehow "link" the course at the college with the retake at the university, if that will ease the visa process. (This may not be possible if they are legally separate.)
Reply 7
Beng (HONS) Mechanical Enginering

Hi,
I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm in the exact same situation and I'm doing the exact same course as well, so if you don't mind could you tell me which uni you attend , because when I asked my Uni if I could resit the first year they said it wasn't possible and I had to apply for mitigating circumstances. They also said I had been withdrawn from the Uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending