The Student Room Group

Charged full term fee AGAIN after intermission… is this normal?

Do all Cambridge Colleges require paying full term fee again after returning from medical intermission half way though a term that was already paid in full?
I had to intermit half way through a term for which I paid my fees. My college just said I need to pay the full fee again when I resume where I left off, halfway through the term. That doesn’t seem right or ethical. Is this typical of all colleges at Cambridge?
Original post by camcat9
Do all Cambridge Colleges require paying full term fee again after returning from medical intermission half way though a term that was already paid in full?
I had to intermit half way through a term for which I paid my fees. My college just said I need to pay the full fee again when I resume where I left off, halfway through the term. That doesn’t seem right or ethical. Is this typical of all colleges at Cambridge?

I doubt enough students on TSR will have experience of this very specific circumstance. Obviously, on a fixed student income, paying effectively double for one third of the year isn't likely to be possible. I'd take it up with your Finance Bursar and Senior Tutor and point out you will probably have to ask the College for hardship funding to get through the year if they follow through with this.
Reply 2
Most Unis will want full payment up front for the term. If you had to leave the last term for medical reasons I would have notified the financial dept or at least contact them now to find out the situation. It should be in the small print of your uni somewhere.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
I doubt enough students on TSR will have experience of this very specific circumstance. Obviously, on a fixed student income, paying effectively double for one third of the year isn't likely to be possible. I'd take it up with your Finance Bursar and Senior Tutor and point out you will probably have to ask the College for hardship funding to get through the year if they follow through with this.

Thank you. My Tutor (I believe Senior Tutor) said my college will not give me hardship funding, nor any other kind of support. This is one of the biggest, most prestigious, highly funded colleges. I’m a home student. No other friends have experienced this with their colleges here. They didn’t give me any hardship funds for medical treatment or equipment, despite the college facilities causing the reason for my medical intermission.
Now they want me to pay for the term again.
Original post by camcat9
Thank you. My Tutor (I believe Senior Tutor) said my college will not give me hardship funding, nor any other kind of support. This is one of the biggest, most prestigious, highly funded colleges. I’m a home student. No other friends have experienced this with their colleges here. They didn’t give me any hardship funds for medical treatment or equipment, despite the college facilities causing the reason for my medical intermission.
Now they want me to pay for the term again.

Then there is a level of detail going on here that you probably don't want to discuss on an open forum. No-one simply says no, there would have been a reason given, you need to listen to that reason and work with it, either it is valid, or you have to show why it isn't valid.
Reply 5
Your are going to have to sort this with the College itself,nobody else can help.
Speak to a person in College to try and get it sorted, maybe put a complaint in which is in writing.
The details are very specific to yourself and nobody else will have experience of them.
Usually the Universities will simply say you signed up for a year so you pay for a year.
At the end of the day they are running a business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending