The Student Room Group

Queen Mary vs City university for business management

I've been trying to choose between these two universities for a while, and I'm still unable to decide.

City has the Cass program which is dedicated to business, whereas Qmul is seen as a Russel group.

I would appreciate any comments about the two unis in order to make my choice, as I need to make it soon :smile:
Original post by N1605
I've been trying to choose between these two universities for a while, and I'm still unable to decide.

City has the Cass program which is dedicated to business, whereas Qmul is seen as a Russel group.

I would appreciate any comments about the two unis in order to make my choice, as I need to make it soon :smile:

I don't particularly like business management degrees, so I am biased. However, if I have to choose it would be with QMUL.

Disclaimer: I have not studied at City or QMUL.
Original post by N1605

City has the *Cass program which is dedicated to business, whereas Qmul is seen as a **Russel group.

*Bayes

**Russell
Reply 3
(Original post by MindMax2000)I don't particularly like business management degrees, so I am biased. However, if I have to choose it would be with QMUL.

Hi, thank you so much for responding. Honestly me too, I’ve heard many mixed reviews about the degree. I feel like an apprenticeship or degree apprenticeship would be more suited, but I’m scared if I don’t get any and it’s risky. Would you say a gap year is a good idea?

Original post by MindMax2000
I don't particularly like business management degrees, so I am biased. However, if I have to choose it would be with QMUL.

Disclaimer: I have not studied at City or QMUL.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
*Bayes

**Russell

Thanks for correcting my spelling, looks like uni isn’t meant for me x
Original post by N1605
(Original post by MindMax2000)I don't particularly like business management degrees, so I am biased. However, if I have to choose it would be with QMUL.

Hi, thank you so much for responding. Honestly me too, I’ve heard many mixed reviews about the degree. I feel like an apprenticeship or degree apprenticeship would be more suited, but I’m scared if I don’t get any and it’s risky. Would you say a gap year is a good idea?

Let's start from the basics:

Why do you want to do a degree in the first place?

Why do you want to do it in business management (of all subjects)?

What career do you want? Why?

What would you otherwise want to do?

What did you always wanted to do?

Do you enjoy learning academically or do you prefer learning on the job?

A degree is a 3 year commitment (with a £27k+ debt). If it's not necessary or it's not in something that you would enjoy, it's not necessarily worth it.

I would get it if it's in STEM, law, or if you want to become a teacher/academic, but it's not required for a lot of subjects.

I wouldn't do a degree for the sake of having a degree. It's not like Canada or the US where you practically need a degree for any half decent paying job. You can get pretty far with just level 3 qualifications in the UK alone. Failing that, you can do professional certifications, which are usually a lot more applicable if you are just looking for a job.

An apprenticehip/degree apprenticeship would be just as hard as getting any half decent job. There's a lot of competition for few places.

If you're not sure if uni is something you want to do, take a gap year and think very carefully. However, I wouldn't spend your gap year just travelling, earning money, or doing something mundane. I would do internships, work experiences, or do something related to the fields that interest you the most. It would give you a clearer picture of what you want to/should do next.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending