The Student Room Group

Chances of Getting a Pupillage (mid tier Uni)

Hello all,

I'm currently pursuing a degree in Business Management with Arabic at the University of Sussex. Recently I've developed a deep interest in law & specifically becoming a barrister (commercial) and was wondering what my chances are.

I was hoping to get do a conversion / GDL after my degree. From what I was reading online things seem bleak but hopefully my experience could help?

I have lots of experience relating to Business:

- Currently completing placement year at top tech company (FAANG)
- Created business with $45,000+ revenue & 27% profit margin
- Received multiple academic awards and scholarships
- On track for high first (letter from Dean where I'm top 5% in my course)
- A-Levels were AAA

Could anybody please let me know my chances / best ways I can achieve this in my situation.

@Crazy Jamie might be able to give some insight into it?

I imagine the academic stuff is all promising, not sure how the placements/business background track but may be useful transferable experience to draw from in interview?
The academics looks good so far. The business placements are not entirely relevant, but equally you could make some use of them in the context of pursuing a commercial practice. The Commercial Bar in particular is extremely competitive compared to other areas, so you do need to bear that in mind, but at this stage there is nothing fundamentally about what you've written that makes me think it's not realistic for you. But you're at a very early stage of this, and it is important that you do your research at this stage and then focus on strengthening your CV and developing your skills in a way that will be conducive to pupillage applications.
Reply 3
Academics are promising, especially the prizes and scholarships. It is probably right that the Commercial Bar is more snobby about which university you went to, but that is on such a set by set basis that it's hard to give any real advice about it. The main thing is you will very likely need a First to get through the paper sift, but that isn't an issue at the moment. When you are able to, it would be good to do some kind of mooting or debating, but as Jamie says you are still at an early stage so plenty of time for that later.
Reply 4
Original post by Crazy Jamie
The academics looks good so far. The business placements are not entirely relevant, but equally you could make some use of them in the context of pursuing a commercial practice. The Commercial Bar in particular is extremely competitive compared to other areas, so you do need to bear that in mind, but at this stage there is nothing fundamentally about what you've written that makes me think it's not realistic for you. But you're at a very early stage of this, and it is important that you do your research at this stage and then focus on strengthening your CV and developing your skills in a way that will be conducive to pupillage applications.

Thanks Jamie! What do you think the best ways to strengthen my CV could be?

I was thinking of applying to mini pupillages
Reply 5
Original post by Blayze
Academics are promising, especially the prizes and scholarships. It is probably right that the Commercial Bar is more snobby about which university you went to, but that is on such a set by set basis that it's hard to give any real advice about it. The main thing is you will very likely need a First to get through the paper sift, but that isn't an issue at the moment. When you are able to, it would be good to do some kind of mooting or debating, but as Jamie says you are still at an early stage so plenty of time for that later.

Thanks Blayze! I know there is a debate society at my uni which I could attend, not sure where you would do mooting though?
Reply 6
Original post by PrinceJad
Thanks Blayze! I know there is a debate society at my uni which I could attend, not sure where you would do mooting though?

Hopefully where you do the GDL and the Bar Course will have options. The Inns of Court also run some moots, but I'm not sure if you could join an Inn yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending