The Student Room Group

no Alevels / Law

hi, i left sixth form due to medical issues and therefore don’t have a levels - i have an access to HE course in law and have 1 year legal assistance experience, and an acceptance from uni of york. do i still have a chance of getting a pupillage/ getting into top law even tho i don’t have A Levels? I am teaching myself politics & psychology just wondering if it’s worth the hassle
Original post by ewood04
hi, i left sixth form due to medical issues and therefore don’t have a levels - i have an access to HE course in law and have 1 year legal assistance experience, and an acceptance from uni of york. do i still have a chance of getting a pupillage/ getting into top law even tho i don’t have A Levels? I am teaching myself politics & psychology just wondering if it’s worth the hassle
Hi @ewood04

You are right to note that pupillage is very competitive. However, there is no reason why your past academic experience would hold you back. Many chambers no longer ask for A levels so as long as you have a good degree by the end of your studies, that is all that matters (also your current experience as a legal assistant will help you in future applications quite a bit :smile:).

Even if the chambers you wish to apply to does look at A levels, there is always a section of the application to lay out any mitigation circumstances which explain why your background may look different than other people and does not reflect your true ability. With the bar ever-progressing, there is a constant shift in the direction of understanding different people come to the bar through different experiences.

In summary, you will be absolutely fine!

Good luck!

Sophie
Reply 2
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @ewood04
You are right to note that pupillage is very competitive. However, there is no reason why your past academic experience would hold you back. Many chambers no longer ask for A levels so as long as you have a good degree by the end of your studies, that is all that matters (also your current experience as a legal assistant will help you in future applications quite a bit :smile:).
Even if the chambers you wish to apply to does look at A levels, there is always a section of the application to lay out any mitigation circumstances which explain why your background may look different than other people and does not reflect your true ability. With the bar ever-progressing, there is a constant shift in the direction of understanding different people come to the bar through different experiences.
In summary, you will be absolutely fine!
Good luck!
Sophie

Ah thanks so much!!! I think I’m still gonna self teach myself Psychology bc i genuinely find that interesting but such a relief that politics can go ! Haha you have made my night thanks sm xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending