The Student Room Group

Eczema and PE

I have recently been told I have to wear bandages for my eczema while its really bad and im really anxious about it at school especially in PE, should I email my teacher if so what would I say? any advice please
Reply 1
Original post by hellloooj
I have recently been told I have to wear bandages for my eczema while its really bad and im really anxious about it at school especially in PE, should I email my teacher if so what would I say? any advice please

If you want the teacher to know, an email coming from your parents will carry more weight than if you send it yourself. They should just inform the teacher of the severity of your eczema and the opinion given by the GP or dermatologist about how it should be treated, i.e in this case it should be covered and protected. They should add that they are counting on the entire cooperation of this teacher as well as all others so that a situation that is already difficult is not made any more complicated.
There is nothing your PE teacher can do if you turn up wearing bandages. That shouldn't even be something they need medical evidence for because they aren't making accommodations for you. Much like a plaster but on a bigger scale. Making your teacher aware however might help with them being more lenient with you when you're wearing bandages because that signals to them that your skin will be more delicate and possibly painful so you might need to take it easier to reduce the pain and damage. If you're worried about your peers seeing the bandages it might be worth also asking, depending on the location of your bandages, if you can wear a PE kit that covers more skin. I got permission at school, admittedly not for my eczema but another condition that was worse at the time, to wear joggers and a long sleeve top rather than the polo shirt and shorts that were strictly required of everyone else. All anyone ever had to say was that they were envious! If you're nervous get your parents to contact your head of year/form tutor to explain and they can speak to your PE teacher and make sure they understand without the stress falling on you.

Quick Reply

Latest