The Student Room Group

How to see a dermatologist

So I'm entitled to free healthcare but don't know how to find a dermatologist that isn't private do I contact my GP?
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm entitled to free healthcare but don't know how to find a dermatologist that isn't private do I contact my GP?

You do, and your GP refers you.
Reply 2

You have to go through your GP but it’s unlikely that they will refer you straight away unless you have some very serious condition. On the whole GP’s tend to treat basic acne, eczema, psoriasis, impetigo etc and refer when and if the treatments they have proposed haven’t worked. Depending on where you are there may or may not be a waiting list to be seen.
Reply 3
Original post by Euapp
You have to go through your GP but it’s unlikely that they will refer you straight away unless you have some very serious condition. On the whole GP’s tend to treat basic acne, eczema, psoriasis, impetigo etc and refer when and if the treatments they have proposed haven’t worked. Depending on where you are there may or may not be a waiting list to be seen.

They already gave me treatment for my acne and its working benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin. I wanted to ask them what else to add ie. what moisturizer, spf, and serums that are suitable for me and my medication. I see people in America do it with ease but I got no clue how we do it in the UK.
Reply 4
They already gave me treatment for my acne and its working benzoyl peroxide with clindamycin. I wanted to ask them what else to add ie. what moisturizer, spf, and serums that are suitable for me and my medication. I see people in America do it with ease but I got no clue how we do it in the UK.

You would have to ask your GP who might know, or might not, but I doubt that you’d get a referral for that. You could do it with ease in the UK as well but you would have to go private which is the case for most people in the US. I would just try and get as light a cream as possible with an spf of 30 to 50 specifically designed for the face.Avène does one and I believe even L’Oréal does, but I would check with your doctor that the tablets you are taking are compatible with going out in the sun. You may have to wear a wide brimmed hat like a bob or something to protect your skin as much as possible from direct exposure to the suns rays.

Quick Reply

Latest