The Student Room Group

Medicine offer Grades

Hi I have 2 offers both contextual at AAA and AAB however I am extremely behind with my a levels and I am struggling to see a future where I can meet those grade requirements. Let's say I miss out by a grade or two is it possible for me to still attend the university for medicine by phoning them up and saying I wouldn't mind doing a foundation year. What would be my steps if I miss out by a grade, is it still possible for me to attend?
Reply 1
Original post by Dr_AK
Hi I have 2 offers both contextual at AAA and AAB however I am extremely behind with my a levels and I am struggling to see a future where I can meet those grade requirements. Let's say I miss out by a grade or two is it possible for me to still attend the university for medicine by phoning them up and saying I wouldn't mind doing a foundation year. What would be my steps if I miss out by a grade, is it still possible for me to attend?

Foundation years require WP flags and are usually significantly oversubscribed. It is not impossible, but ulikely that they would have spavce on the course, even if you did meet the criteria.
Some med schools do sometimes accept people who miss a grade, but it is by no means guaranteed, so if they are not prepared to honour the offer, you would need to resir and reapply next year, going through the same UCAS process, UCAT etc as this year.
Original post by GANFYD
Foundation years require WP flags and are usually significantly oversubscribed. It is not impossible, but ulikely that they would have spavce on the course, even if you did meet the criteria.
Some med schools do sometimes accept people who miss a grade, but it is by no means guaranteed, so if they are not prepared to honour the offer, you would need to resir and reapply next year, going through the same UCAS process, UCAT etc as this year.

do foundation years often have to enroll more students than there are places for foundation entry med?
Reply 3
Original post by med.33333
do foundation years often have to enroll more students than there are places for foundation entry med?

umm I believe so because not everyone they give an offer to is guaranteed to come.
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD

Okay thank you - I am just hoping if I don't meet the grades maybe my UCAT score + the contextual data and the fact they gave me an offer to begin with, that they may be lenient, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.
Reply 5
Original post by Dr_AK
Okay thank you - I am just hoping if I don't meet the grades maybe my UCAT score + the contextual data and the fact they gave me an offer to begin with, that they may be lenient, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Keep wprking hard and fingers crossed :crossedf:
Reply 6
Original post by med.33333

The government heavily financially penalises med schools if they take on more students than they have been allocated students for, so med schools always try to avoid it
Original post by Dr_AK

It's very unlikely that med schools will offer you a place if you don't meet the requirements, so please try your best in the coming months! I know it's not easy but A levels will be over before you know it. I'm sure it wasn't easy gaining those offers so please don't let your hard work go to waste. Also don't be put off if you're not doing well at the moment because anything is possible with a bit of hard work and discipline (this is coming from someone who was at BBC this time last year but got A*AA for A levels)
Best of luck, I hope you do well in your exams!
Reply 8
Original post by GANFYD
Keep wprking hard and fingers crossed :crossedf:

Thank you
Reply 9
Original post by PrincessTJmaxx
It's very unlikely that med schools will offer you a place if you don't meet the requirements, so please try your best in the coming months! I know it's not easy but A levels will be over before you know it. I'm sure it wasn't easy gaining those offers so please don't let your hard work go to waste. Also don't be put off if you're not doing well at the moment because anything is possible with a bit of hard work and discipline (this is coming from someone who was at BBC this time last year but got A*AA for A levels)
Best of luck, I hope you do well in your exams!

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending