The Student Room Group

could i get into oxbridge??

i want to know if i can get into oxbridge because i have A LOT of pressure on me:

i am in year 10 and have predicted grades of all 8's in my gcse
i do extra curriculars like:
-piano (grd 7)
-clarinet (grd 6)
-swimming (regional & national)

and do charity every year

i also have a 8 in gcse music which i did last year and completed my hpq (gonna get results this summer)

am i on the right track to get to oxbridge/ what can i do to get to oxbridge?

tysm :smile:
For what degree course? And pressures aside, do YOU want to go? Have you looked at the course structure/content of the course you have in mind? Do you think you'd enjoy it?
Original post by sweetrose444
i want to know if i can get into oxbridge because i have A LOT of pressure on me:

-piano (grd 7)
-clarinet (grd 6)

i also have a 8 in gcse music which i did last year and completed my hpq (gonna get results this summer)

What degree lad, anyone can get in just depends how dedicated you want to be
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
For what degree course? And pressures aside, do YOU want to go? Have you looked at the course structure/content of the course you have in mind? Do you think you'd enjoy it?

Very good points here. Do you want to go there for the sake of 'going to Oxbridge' or did you see a course you really like and would like to study more? If it's any parental/school pressure, think more about if you actually want to go there -- you're the one who would end up there (if it works out), not your family/peers etc.

I don't think Oxbridge cares that much about music grades etc, but they focus on your academics. Read around your subject of interest -- they'll have suggested readings lists on their websites, listen to podcasts, documentaries etc. If your course is more practical, get some work experience and make notes, think about what you did and learnt.
Original post by sweetrose444

-piano (grd 7)
-clarinet (grd 6)

Cambridge don't weigh GCSEs that heavily so your GCSE results aren't even that critical for there. Both consider 8 and 9 grades equivalent at GCSE as well so if you do get all grade 8s then as far as they are concerned you have the maximum possible grades at GCSE.

Random extracurricular activities are not of particular interest to them, and they have stated this in many print media articles. Thus, they will only care about your piano and clarinet if you are applying to music. The swimming is largely beyond the scope of what they are looking for, although other unis may be interested in it (likewise the music things if not applying to music).

By and large the focus is on your academic preparation, especially in related subjects, and any "supercurricular" (i.e. extracurricular specifically related to the subject you are applying to) activities you may have engaged in and your reflections on those - for many this is just wider reading in their area of interest beyond the scope of the GCSE/A-level curriculum.

Note that there is very little to be done at GCSE level beyond just aiming to do well in your GCSEs if possible. Any wider reading you do they will be assuming you will do while you are in 6th form after having decided what you want to be applying to while studying relevant A-level subjects. Anything done before that is probably of limited value.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest