The Student Room Group

Which A-Level Subjects Should I Take?

I am considering a joint degree in Politics and Chinese. Therefore the options I am considering are:1) Politics, Economics, Philosophy2) Politics, Maths, PhilosophyI struggle with memorising things so which subjects require lots of memorising and which don't.
Reply 1
I am considering a joint degree in Politics and Chinese.

Therefore these are the subjects i am considering:

1) Politics, Maths, Philosophy
2) Politics, Economics, Philosophy

Which would be better suited for the degree?
I also struggle with memorising so which subjects require the least amount?
I would recommend taking a language if possible, as often non-European language degrees, while not requiring you to have studied the target language before, will prefer to see you have some evidence of language learning ability - such as an A-level in any language.

Also if you struggle with memorising things, do think carefully about the prospect of studying a language - invariably there is going to be a degree of rote learning and memorization for the early stages of any language. This is perhaps particularly true for non-European languages where there aren't as many cognates to fall back on and which require you to learn a new script (such as Chinese).

A-level Maths is of no particular use for studying Chinese or politics (there is some stats involved in politics but A-level Maths is far more background than you need for that) so don't take it unless you particularly enjoy it.
Economics is probably more suitable for a degree involving politics. Maths is considered one of the "hardest" A-Levels so therefore one of the most "respected", but I think if you enjoy maths economics is still a good choice as it involves application rather than just mathematical theory.

Quick Reply

Latest