The Student Room Group

Gcse rlly need help

I HAVE ONLY 4 WEEKS TILL EXAMS, IM STUCK ON 5'S BECAUSE I HAVENT BEEN DOING PAST PAPERS, if i start doing LOTS of past papers now, DO I HAVE TIME TO GET 7'S???!!!!
Reply 1
Original post by madina008
I HAVE ONLY 4 WEEKS TILL EXAMS, IM STUCK ON 5'S BECAUSE I HAVENT BEEN DOING PAST PAPERS, if i start doing LOTS of past papers now, DO I HAVE TIME TO GET 7'S???!!!!

You have time to achieve more than 7s! Do lots of past papers and make sure you reflect on why you got certain questions wrong and then revise to fill in any gaps in your knowledge. Make sure you really nail down the subjects that you're comfortable with first so you can then focus your efforts towards the more difficult stuff. Also make sure to take a break in between papers and also go outside for a walk or to nearby shops - it helps clear your mind.
Reply 2
Original post by (Oxon)
You have time to achieve more than 7s! Do lots of past papers and make sure you reflect on why you got certain questions wrong and then revise to fill in any gaps in your knowledge. Make sure you really nail down the subjects that you're comfortable with first so you can then focus your efforts towards the more difficult stuff. Also make sure to take a break in between papers and also go outside for a walk or to nearby shops - it helps clear your mind.

thank u!! im rlly worried because i stopped revising ever since decemeber after i got burnt out and then i stopped revising all together, im literally shaking cause of stress and idk if i can get 7's, i rlly want 7's, r u sure its possible, cause i dont want to have high hopes to only be disappointed on results day. im thinking of studying 6-7 hrs after schl everyday till gcses's
YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!! Do past papers, maybe 2 per day > make flashcards of your mistakes > keeping doing flashcards for everything everyday and you won’t make the mistakes again. Eventually you will know everything and be genius
Reply 4
Original post by www.iLoveEnglish
YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!! Do past papers, maybe 2 per day > make flashcards of your mistakes > keeping doing flashcards for everything everyday and you won’t make the mistakes again. Eventually you will know everything and be genius

2 past papers per subject a day??!!!
2 past papers per subject a day??!!!

Haha no that’s wayyyy too much, I mean 2 past papers per day: e.g One in maths in the morning, then later do one in biology

2 is a good amount as it means you’re no over whelming your brain which would make you forget things easier

Although if you have spare time you can always do another one in a different subject, like English
Reply 6
Haha no that’s wayyyy too much, I mean 2 past papers per day: e.g One in maths in the morning, then later do one in biology

2 is a good amount as it means you’re no over whelming your brain which would make you forget things easier

Although if you have spare time you can always do another one in a different subject, like English

ohh okk. tbh i understand majority of the content on my subjects which is why i get 5's but because i havent done past papers, do u think thats why im stuck on 5's? if i do like a lang paper 1 and 2, a week, and then both lit papers a week, can i get a 6 at the very least, because english is my weakest subject. also im very confident on lang paper 1 but lang paper 2, i have 0 practice on, but there r around 57 days till those, so do i have time to get a 6?
Reply 7
thank u!! im rlly worried because i stopped revising ever since decemeber after i got burnt out and then i stopped revising all together, im literally shaking cause of stress and idk if i can get 7's, i rlly want 7's, r u sure its possible, cause i dont want to have high hopes to only be disappointed on results day. im thinking of studying 6-7 hrs after schl everyday till gcses's

“6-7 hrs after schl everyday till gcses's” - that is way too much - there is no way you can effectively study that many hours - you get diminishing returns, and it can be counterproductive as you will get too tired and risk burnout. I more realistic target is 2-3 hrs on a school night and maybe 5-6 hours on a non school days, but you need plenty of breaks and a night off to remain mentally healthy and not overly tired and stressed.
ohh okk. tbh i understand majority of the content on my subjects which is why i get 5's but because i havent done past papers, do u think thats why im stuck on 5's? if i do like a lang paper 1 and 2, a week, and then both lit papers a week, can i get a 6 at the very least, because english is my weakest subject. also im very confident on lang paper 1 but lang paper 2, i have 0 practice on, but there r around 57 days till those, so do i have time to get a 6?

Of course you do! I know 4 weeks sounds like a short amount of time but you can do a lot in 4 weeks! Honestly you’d be surprised in what you’re capable of, I’ve heard of many people go from 5s to literally 9s because they learned what the examiners want! :smile: That’s why I’d reccomend watching YouTube videos on how to structure English questions first before you do the past papers because there’s no point in writing the questions if you don’t know what the examiners want
e.g

into, para 1: point evidence explain link, para 2 repeat and then conclusion

and for lang they have a specific structure that examiners like - I’d reccomend “Mr Salles” on YouTube he’s brilliant

In most subjects, getting the marks is like jumping through hoops, that’s why it’s so important to look at mark schemes after you do a past paper, so you can see how it’s phrased!

I hope I make sense! Btw, which texts do you study In English? If we do the same I could help? :smile:
Reply 9
but i havent been revising AT ALL FOR 4 MONTHS, so i need to put the work in now, to go up by 2 grades

Original post by lalexm
“6-7 hrs after schl everyday till gcses's” - that is way too much - there is no way you can effectively study that many hours - you get diminishing returns, and it can be counterproductive as you will get too tired and risk burnout. I more realistic target is 2-3 hrs on a school night and maybe 5-6 hours on a non school days, but you need plenty of breaks and a night off to remain mentally healthy and not overly tired and stressed.
Of course you do! I know 4 weeks sounds like a short amount of time but you can do a lot in 4 weeks! Honestly you’d be surprised in what you’re capable of, I’ve heard of many people go from 5s to literally 9s because they learned what the examiners want! :smile: That’s why I’d reccomend watching YouTube videos on how to structure English questions first before you do the past papers because there’s no point in writing the questions if you don’t know what the examiners want
e.g

into, para 1: point evidence explain link, para 2 repeat and then conclusion

and for lang they have a specific structure that examiners like - I’d reccomend “Mr Salles” on YouTube he’s brilliant

In most subjects, getting the marks is like jumping through hoops, that’s why it’s so important to look at mark schemes after you do a past paper, so you can see how it’s phrased!

I hope I make sense! Btw, which texts do you study In English? If we do the same I could help? :smile:

i do a christmas carol, an inspector calls and macbeth

Have you got any quotes for A Christmas carol and inspector calls?!
but i havent been revising AT ALL FOR 4 MONTHS, so i need to put the work in now, to go up by 2 grades

Putting in a lot of work doesn’t equal lots of time, you could revise for 6 hours and it would be more useless than if you did 2 hours of focused and effective revision
It’s about consistency! If you revise for like 6 hours on a school night you will burn out and probably have a mental breakdown, overall would have an opposite effect

I do a Christmas Carol aswell!
Original post by lkrnix
Have you got any quotes for A Christmas carol and inspector calls?!

i got them in a booklet, js know key quotes, i BARELY revised for my christams carol test and only memorised key quotes and i got like 20/30. watch a lot of vids on youtube

It's great that you recognize the importance of doing past papers in preparing for your exams. While it's difficult to predict with certainty whether you will be able to achieve 7's in just four weeks, it's definitely possible to improve your grades significantly if you use your time wisely and study effectively.

Here are a few tips that might help you make the most of the next four weeks:

Set a study schedule: Break down the next four weeks into manageable study periods, and set aside specific times each day to work on past papers and review your notes.

Focus on your weaknesses: Identify the areas where you struggle the most and focus your efforts on those topics. Make sure you understand the concepts and practice them by doing lots of past paper questions on those topics.

Time management: As you work through past papers, be mindful of the time you spend on each question. Make sure you are completing each question within the time limit specified for that paper.

Seek help when needed: Don't hesitate to reach out to your teachers or classmates if you have questions or need clarification on certain topics.

Take care of yourself: Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and taking breaks to recharge. It is important to take care of yourself physically and emotionally during this stressful time.

Remember, consistent and focused practice is key to improving your grades. Good luck with your studies!
Putting in a lot of work doesn’t equal lots of time, you could revise for 6 hours and it would be more useless than if you did 2 hours of focused and effective revision
It’s about consistency! If you revise for like 6 hours on a school night you will burn out and probably have a mental breakdown, overall would have an opposite effect

ohhh okk, ill only do 5 hrs then

It’s up to you, but having had 2 kids that have just gone through GCSEs and having done loads of research, that many hours is not feasible and is counterproductive. Also, I’m talking about proper study time I.e phones and other distractions out of the room, using times and/or the flora study app.
Original post by Curious_Bilawi
It's great that you recognize the importance of doing past papers in preparing for your exams. While it's difficult to predict with certainty whether you will be able to achieve 7's in just four weeks, it's definitely possible to improve your grades significantly if you use your time wisely and study effectively.

Here are a few tips that might help you make the most of the next four weeks:

Set a study schedule: Break down the next four weeks into manageable study periods, and set aside specific times each day to work on past papers and review your notes.

Focus on your weaknesses: Identify the areas where you struggle the most and focus your efforts on those topics. Make sure you understand the concepts and practice them by doing lots of past paper questions on those topics.

Time management: As you work through past papers, be mindful of the time you spend on each question. Make sure you are completing each question within the time limit specified for that paper.

Seek help when needed: Don't hesitate to reach out to your teachers or classmates if you have questions or need clarification on certain topics.

Take care of yourself: Make sure you are getting enough sleep, eating well, and taking breaks to recharge. It is important to take care of yourself physically and emotionally during this stressful time.

Remember, consistent and focused practice is key to improving your grades. Good luck with your studies!

i will make sure to put in all the work for a 7

Original post by lalexm
It’s up to you, but having had 2 kids that have just gone through GCSEs and having done loads of research, that many hours is not feasible and is counterproductive. Also, I’m talking about proper study time I.e phones and other distractions out of the room, using times and/or the flora study app.

ohhh okk thank u

Heya!
Yes there is still time as long as you do practice questions and also go through the mark schemes after doing them to check how well you did and how you can improve :h: If it helps, Study Mind has plenty of practice questions you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest