The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Admission to masters at imperial

Hi, I need someone’s honest opinion about my situation. I’ve recently finished my undergraduate studies and got a 1st class grade in a cyber security course. I didn’t take my studies seriously in high school but I still got 5s and 6s in my GCSEs. However, it wasn’t enough to get me into a levels which is probably my biggest regret. I took a level English lit, btec information technology and btec applied science. I worked rlly hard in my sixth form years and ended with the results of B for English lit, and distinction* for my btecs. I was told by most my teachers that most prestigious unis would only take a levels so I ended up applying to a local university for a cybersecurity course. I’ve now finished my degree and got a rlly good grade. I’m looking to now do a masters and I was hoping to apply to imperial. My question is that is my undergraduate performance enough or will they judge my gcse performance and not accept me.
Most postgraduate selection processes will chiefly be looking at your undergrad academics. Your GCSE’s were a long time ago and are not especially relevant. Likewise with your level 3 quals.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Most postgraduate selection processes will chiefly be looking at your undergrad academics. Your GCSE’s were a long time ago and are not especially relevant. Likewise with your level 3 quals.

Thank you for responding, I rlly do hope I get an interview or an offer from imperial, I just thought since it’s such a competitive place to get accepted to, everything would be considered
Original post by Bilalamir
Thank you for responding, I rlly do hope I get an interview or an offer from imperial, I just thought since it’s such a competitive place to get accepted to, everything would be considered

My uni is similarly competitive, (I work in postgrad admissions). As above, uni ranking would be a small part of our scoring but not so much that I’d ever discourage someone from applying. Obviously I can’t speak for Imperial but with a decent undergrad result I think you’d be daft not to apply for fear of your uni or previous quals.
It's worth giving it a try :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
My uni is similarly competitive, (I work in postgrad admissions). As above, uni ranking would be a small part of our scoring but not so much that I’d ever discourage someone from applying. Obviously I can’t speak for Imperial but with a decent undergrad result I think you’d be daft not to apply for fear of your uni or previous quals.

Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot more reassured, obv I’m not under the impression that I’ve secured a place but I feel a lot more comfortable knowing that I’d atleast be considered, so thank you
Reply 6
Original post by Bilalamir
Hi, I need someone’s honest opinion about my situation. I’ve recently finished my undergraduate studies and got a 1st class grade in a cyber security course. I didn’t take my studies seriously in high school but I still got 5s and 6s in my GCSEs. However, it wasn’t enough to get me into a levels which is probably my biggest regret. I took a level English lit, btec information technology and btec applied science. I worked rlly hard in my sixth form years and ended with the results of B for English lit, and distinction* for my btecs. I was told by most my teachers that most prestigious unis would only take a levels so I ended up applying to a local university for a cybersecurity course. I’ve now finished my degree and got a rlly good grade. I’m looking to now do a masters and I was hoping to apply to imperial. My question is that is my undergraduate performance enough or will they judge my gcse performance and not accept me.

hey can you update us on ur application? Did u get accepted to imperial? Also what msc were you gonna take, was it info sec?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending