The Student Room Group

Small boats operational command 2023 - Border force

Has anyone applied for this position recently? If so, what’s your progress like?

Scroll to see replies

I have applied for this and been successful with the online assessment centre. Waiting to hear about an offer.

Worried about the vetting and financial history bit as I think this is checked.
Reply 2
That’s great! When did you do online assessment? When I did mine, I got a response the next day. Currently waiting on vetting and worried too, so you’re not alone on that one!
Where did you apply for

Original post by Drgdolly
I have applied for this and been successful with the online assessment centre. Waiting to hear about an offer.

Worried about the vetting and financial history bit as I think this is checked.
Original post by AyraLee
That’s great! When did you do online assessment? When I did mine, I got a response the next day. Currently waiting on vetting and worried too, so you’re not alone on that one!
Where did you apply for

I did mine last Wednesday and heard back on the Thursday! But just saying I was successful, still no offer made! What about you?
I’ve applied for Dover/Manston. Yourself?
Yeah I’ve looked into the vetting and they dig really deep by the looks of it, family info, partners family, financial - the lot!
Reply 4
Hello!

Applied for the Higher Officer role in the Small Boats Operational Command. Did my assessment at the end of March, and was told I was successful in early April but haven't heard anything else since.Applied for either Gatwick or Essex but understand it's likely to be daily travel down to Kent in marked vehicles!

Hoping things move along soon, thought I would have heard something sooner by now as it's my understanding the Higher Officer role are basically team leaders so I assume there will be slightly more training involved.

Either way, looking forward to getting further in the process.
Original post by SEGuy
Hello!

Applied for the Higher Officer role in the Small Boats Operational Command. Did my assessment at the end of March, and was told I was successful in early April but haven't heard anything else since.Applied for either Gatwick or Essex but understand it's likely to be daily travel down to Kent in marked vehicles!

Hoping things move along soon, thought I would have heard something sooner by now as it's my understanding the Higher Officer role are basically team leaders so I assume there will be slightly more training involved.

Congrats on passing! Hopefully you’ll hear something soon. Yeah I would have thought more training involved for a higher role! Does it state on the description the length of training? Think it’s 3 weeks for the role I’ve applied for.

I got my provisional offer yesterday and accepted so have just begun to ID check stage - I thought it all seemed to be going pretty quickly so far but maybe that’s as I have applied for Dover/Manston and with the current situation there they may be fast tracking these?!
Congrats to all who've been successful so far.

I have my OAC soon. I'm squared away in regards to strength based Q's but could anyone tell me what to expect with the written assessment please?
Reply 7
Original post by SEGuy
Hello!

Hi! I applied for Essex too🤭
Have you started vetting yet? I am on that stage at the moment.
Original post by RolledOats
Congrats to all who've been successful so far.

I have my OAC soon. I'm squared away in regards to strength based Q's but could anyone tell me what to expect with the written assessment please?

My written assessment was basically forming an email to my ‘manager’ for a made up company that sells paper. The email had to contain why we should switch paper suppliers, the reasons for this and to compare it with our current supplier.

So you can’t really revise for it, it’s just to show your written skills are clear and concise, not so much knowledge of the job or role itself.
Reply 9
Original post by Mrg1234
Hello 👋

Did you apply for higher officer?

Hey, no I didn’t! Not sure what the OAC entails for a higher officer.
Reply 10
Original post by Mrg1234
Has anyone here applied for Higher Officer (small boats)?

Thanks

I have, I got an email for OAC 2 days ago!
Reply 11
Hello I was successful at the Higher Officer OAC, not been offered anything yet.

It's basically an interview and you will be assessed on things you would expect from a team leader/supervisor position. You'll also have a written exercise that will assess your written skills and again skills expected of a team leader/supervisor.
Reply 12
Original post by Mrg1234
Thanks.
How many questions in total?

Honestly I can’t remember, maybe like 12? Each one had a 2 minute time and it was a live interview
Reply 13
Original post by Mrg1234
Thanks for your reply.
2 minutes questions are strength questions.
Strange, as I thought for higher officer they would ask also behaviour questions (5 minutes)
Cheers

From what I read in the email that stated I had passed it said alongside the strength questions I was assessed on behaviour too.
Reply 14
What were the questions like? “Tell me about a time when you….?”
Reply 15
Hey!

Has anyone had any further updates with their provisional job offers?

I’ve completed all pre employment forms and the vetting questionnaire. Just the waiting game now! Been about 2 weeks!
Reply 16
Has anyone applied for the Higher Officer position had a provisional offer or been placed on the merit list yet? I passed OAC mid April.
Original post by CHW212
Has anyone applied for the Higher Officer position had a provisional offer or been placed on the merit list yet? I passed OAC mid April.

Hey, I was told few colleagues who work with me at Heathrow received for one locations and going through pre employment however it appears other locations are still on hold for HO’s.
Reply 18
Original post by akhtar2053188
Hey, I was told few colleagues who work with me at Heathrow received for one locations and going through pre employment however it appears other locations are still on hold for HO’s.

Hey! Do you know which location that is, and why other locations are on hold? 🤔
Dover. No idea as most civil service recruitments are always messed up and nothing makes sense. I passed assessment and still waiting too however I put Gatwick only my location.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending