The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

help with college choice

Hello, I want to apply to John Snow or South college because the accommodations seem new and nice.

In some rooms, the bathroom is shared with one other person, so I suppose it wouldn’t be too bad, but I really want an en-suite.

How does Durham allocate students to an en-suite or a paired room? Is it completely random?

Should I risk it or apply to Josephine Butler instead since 100% of its rooms are en-suite?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I want to apply to John Snow or South college because the accommodations seem new and nice.

In some rooms, the bathroom is shared with one other person, so I suppose it wouldn’t be too bad, but I really want an en-suite.

How does Durham allocate students to an en-suite or a paired room? Is it completely random?

Should I risk it or apply to Josephine Butler instead since 100% of its rooms are en-suite?

Hiya

Once you receive a college allocation, your college will send out a room preference form where you can choose whether you want an ensuite or are happy with sharing. They'll try their best to give you a room of your choice but sometimes this may not be possible due to oversubscription. I think sharing with just one other person is a pretty good deal as those bathrooms are way bigger than the ensuite ones. But if you're uncomfortable with that and don't want to share at all costs then yes, Butler would be a safer choice.

-Himieka
(edited 1 year ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

I'm currently in John snow and I have an en-suite, the majority of people in my year at john snow did get the option of their choice but for those who didnt and ended up in the townhouses, they say it's completely fine and don't mind at all.
I'm currently in John snow and I have an en-suite, the majority of people in my year at john snow did get the option of their choice but for those who didnt and ended up in the townhouses, they say it's completely fine and don't mind at all.

ah thanks.

is there any notable difference between john snow and south? which college should i put as my first choice?
ah thanks.

is there any notable difference between john snow and south? which college should i put as my first choice?

For me when I was choosing out of the two, I made sure to visit them and feel the vibe of the two because they’re completely similar and share all of the same facilities (apart from their bars) it’s just that south is a bit bigger. I liked John Snow better because they seemed more friendly but south was my second and even if I didn’t get John snow I wouldn’t of minded because south was equally good.
For me when I was choosing out of the two, I made sure to visit them and feel the vibe of the two because they’re completely similar and share all of the same facilities (apart from their bars) it’s just that south is a bit bigger. I liked John Snow better because they seemed more friendly but south was my second and even if I didn’t get John snow I wouldn’t of minded because south was equally good.

i’m international so i can’t visit them unfortunately :frown: do you know which one is more competitive/oversubscribed?
i’m international so i can’t visit them unfortunately :frown: do you know which one is more competitive/oversubscribed?

Unfortunately I don't know which one is more competitive however, if you want to have a look at them, here are some youtube links that I used to also make my decision (alongwith visiting and talking to students there). They are of tours of the college rooms.
https://youtu.be/-6I7996cYUU (this is the link for a tour of the townhouse room/room without an ensuite)
https://youtu.be/6L-Ibkih5Xw (this is the ensuite room)
https://youtu.be/WKWWI8jy2g8
https://youtu.be/TOR8ONDMVQQ

Quick Reply

Latest