The Student Room Group

Masters SOAS LSE choice query

Anybody have time to offer advice? Am trying to decide between LSE for MSc development studies or SOAS for MA Farsi+MidEast studies. Either way I would focus my time on histories of urbanization and informal housing in major cities in West Asia, particularly in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan. I would focus my time on of course my coursework, but studying informal housing, construction, and development literature from scholars and NGOs, continuing to learn Farsi (which I've started alongside a few years of Arabic), learning Python, and getting comfortable with mapping and other types or software products related to my work interests including Esri/ArcGIS, Revit, and AdobeSuite.

I want to be employable and to make the most of my studies and networking experiences might sound obvious. As I understand it, SOAS has strong development focus/reputation, but LSE might be tied to more INGOs. I've also heard that LSE has stronger professional services to help students find work, but that might be more about undergrad, I'm not sure.

Would love really any thoughts.

P.S.: Is this the proper forum topic to post this?
Reply 1
Original post by notnats
Anybody have time to offer advice? Am trying to decide between LSE for MSc development studies or SOAS for MA Farsi+MidEast studies. Either way I would focus my time on histories of urbanization and informal housing in major cities in West Asia, particularly in Iraq, Iran, and Afghanistan. I would focus my time on of course my coursework, but studying informal housing, construction, and development literature from scholars and NGOs, continuing to learn Farsi (which I've started alongside a few years of Arabic), learning Python, and getting comfortable with mapping and other types or software products related to my work interests including Esri/ArcGIS, Revit, and AdobeSuite.

I want to be employable and to make the most of my studies and networking experiences might sound obvious. As I understand it, SOAS has strong development focus/reputation, but LSE might be tied to more INGOs. I've also heard that LSE has stronger professional services to help students find work, but that might be more about undergrad, I'm not sure.

Would love really any thoughts.

P.S.: Is this the proper forum topic to post this?

Did you decide? Friend has same issue… thanks
Reply 2
Original post by Tmw1
Did you decide? Friend has same issue… thanks

Hey! I decided on LSE. I'm happy to talk about my decision privately, as I don't want to contribute to any public maligning of either university and I don't feel like tiptoeing around my words right now haha. Both schools are fantastic and have great professors with open communications, as I've experienced cold-messaging faculty from both recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending