The Student Room Group

🌟Notetaking apps recommendations for university

Hello everyone,
I hope you are all well.

Could you guys please recommend me some notetaking apps for university/medicine.

-Im looking for something that has a range of highlighters(I'm a very visual learner and colours really help me)

(For university I would like to convert from pen & paper note to digital notetaking-I have never done that before but I this will save me a alot of space and paper and I would have to carry a bunch of notes when moving dorms or to classes.Also,I rather do notetaking than typing notes I am not a fast typer and honestly I hardly use a laptop.)

-able to easier insert images/diagrams from e.g google or a website (because I wouldn't have time to draw images during a lecture)

-smooth writing(won't lag while writing)

-I would rather if the app is free BUT if you know any good notetaking apps that you have to pay for, please put that in your list

-(How do you save your notes on gmail?When I asked a med student they said they do this.
Do you sent it to yourself and star it?
Like I don't think you can make folders on gmail.)

-it would be nice if the app has a easy storage and system for your notes.
For laptops,you can make a folder and then sub-folders.
It would be nice if I could do something similar like make a 'year 1'folder and then have sub-folders for the modules/Topics and THEN place my notes.

Thank you for your time and patience:smile:
The two most people recommend for tablets (I’m assuming you are using a tablet) are notability and GoodNotes 5 (neither free). I started using notability but didn’t like it much as the storage system and folders are pretty bad, now I use GoodNotes 5 for everything. It’s like word but for digital notes so I can download online books onto it, draw diagrams for essays, read and annotate papers etc, and every tab stays open unless closed manually so I don’t lose things. Because it actually has folders I can organise it the same way I do my computer.
Hi there,

So I would recommend Notion. You can download it for free, and then get the premium version for free if you sign up with your academic email address! I found it really useful.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by KirstinTMH
The two most people recommend for tablets (I’m assuming you are using a tablet) are notability and GoodNotes 5 (neither free). I started using notability but didn’t like it much as the storage system and folders are pretty bad, now I use GoodNotes 5 for everything. It’s like word but for digital notes so I can download online books onto it, draw diagrams for essays, read and annotate papers etc, and every tab stays open unless closed manually so I don’t lose things. Because it actually has folders I can organise it the same way I do my computer.

Thank you for your reply.I have a looking into that app, have a wonderful day:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there,

So I would recommend Notion. You can download it for free, and then get the premium version for free if you sign up with your academic email address! I found it really useful.

Thank you for your recommendation.I'll have a look into that,have a great day:smile:
Original post by B-star
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all well.

Could you guys please recommend me some notetaking apps for university/medicine.

-Im looking for something that has a range of highlighters(I'm a very visual learner and colours really help me)

(For university I would like to convert from pen & paper note to digital notetaking-I have never done that before but I this will save me a alot of space and paper and I would have to carry a bunch of notes when moving dorms or to classes.Also,I rather do notetaking than typing notes I am not a fast typer and honestly I hardly use a laptop.)

-able to easier insert images/diagrams from e.g google or a website (because I wouldn't have time to draw images during a lecture)

-smooth writing(won't lag while writing)

-I would rather if the app is free BUT if you know any good notetaking apps that you have to pay for, please put that in your list

-(How do you save your notes on gmail?When I asked a med student they said they do this.
Do you sent it to yourself and star it?
Like I don't think you can make folders on gmail.)

-it would be nice if the app has a easy storage and system for your notes.
For laptops,you can make a folder and then sub-folders.
It would be nice if I could do something similar like make a 'year 1'folder and then have sub-folders for the modules/Topics and THEN place my notes.

Thank you for your time and patience:smile:

Hi there,
Some of the best apps I used for note taking at university were:
- GoodNotes
This one isn't free but there is plenty of scope to create different books for each topic or sub topic. A good one to use on a tablet, especially if you have a pencil to connect.
- Notion
Good option for laptops. This is one where how much you get out of it depends on the effort you put in. I'd recommend searching for online templates and modifying them to suit your needs.
- OneNote
I used this to take notes quickly which I could then enhance later before saving them to my Google Drive in folders/sub folders.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie
Original post by B-star
Thank you for your recommendation.I'll have a look into that,have a great day:smile:

You are welcome, I'm glad to help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending